AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Matt Neal confirmed as VXRacing driver for 2008

taken from www.btcc.net

Neal joins VXR for 2008

Matt Neal will partner new Champion Fabrizio Giovanardi in Vauxhall’s 2008 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship line-up, but his family’s Team Dynamics squad will continue to operate a two-car outfit with Halfords title sponsorship next season.

Neal’s confirmation with the VX Racing team was confirmed tonight in the Thruxton paddock following today’s title-deciding rounds in which Giovanardi not only won the Drivers’ title but also Vauxhall the Manufacturers’ crown.

Champion in 2005 and 2006, Neal said: "It's not a decision I've taken lightly, given my close family links with Team Dynamics and a great team set-up which has supported me in winning two BTCC titles.

“However, life is about challenges and changes and while I am sad to leave Dynamics I am excited about my new challenge ahead. I would also like to thank Halfords for its support over the past year and say that I am really thrilled that it is continuing its sponsorship into the new season."
    Neal has raced for Vauxhall’s factory team before, during the 2002 season when he was part of its satellite Egg:Sport team with which he won several races. Now, though, five years on, he joins its VXR squad alongside Giovanardi and in its proven Vectra model in which the Italian has won an unrivalled ten times in 2007.

VXR Brand Manager Stuart Harris commented: “We’ve been very impressed by Matt’s approach over the years. He’s been a great ambassador for the sport with his clean, progressive racing and we’re delighted to add him to the squad.”

Neal added: “I’ve always admired VX Racing as a good professional team with a friendly atmosphere. Racing against VXR has been annoyingly consistent! When it was running the all-conquering Astras in the early 2000s, it was tough because its cars would be knocking in the results day-in-and-day-out!

“I’m going into it wanting to do the best job. I want to win races and championships but if I can’t do the latter I will do my utmost to aid my team-mate along the way. I’m a team player and always have been.”
    1.9CDTi (150) SRi XP Sportshatch
    Heated Leather Seats - Cruise Control - Climate Control - 18" Pentas - Auto Light & Sight - Electrical Folding Mirrors - Sat Nav

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I knew about this at 9am this morning.

Hoped to get back and spill the beans, but Thruxton's a long way from home.

Interesting line up for next season tho. I think Mr Neal will do well for VXRacing.

Also heard F**d are entering the BTCC challenge too next season.
    It'd be nice if they do. Add another manufacturer into the mix.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You could have guessed this today by the way he was driving, he was very considerate to the vecy drivers and was keen to mix it up with Plato.
    Irmscher MK3 Astra Irmscher Mk4 SXi 1.8 16V Vectra C CDTi Astra H 1.7 CDTi XP Moonland SRi CDTi Sporthatch Astra VXR

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    classey bit off driving today by vauxhall. good to hear that matt neal will be joining them next year.

i think plato should have been penalised for cutting that corner . he is such a dirty driver but still the whole race was wicked and vauxhall pulled it off.

(in your face plato lol)

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What's happening to Chilton?
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good to see Neal come to Vauxhall IMO, always been a fan of his.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I WAS always a fan of matt neil, until this season and the last race any way.

I think he has been very childish this season, the last 2 seasons he has fought for and won the championship and driven quite well.

However he has one season in a slightly uncompetitive car (bear in mind Gordan Sheddon drove great this season) and he fxxks off to a works team.

He started his BTCC career with team dynamics (run by his dad) many years ago and has been with them through alot. So why leave them for a manufacturer now, oh yeah there competative!!!

And as for his driving in the last race complete idiot - rough quote from Matt Neil after the 2nd race " i know what its like to be in a title fight, i wont be getting involved in it" In reality - oh wait yes i will, i will let the two vauxhalls by and then try and block Plato.

So there is my 2 pence worth. Matt Neil hero to zero!!!

And as for vauxhall winning it was a close fight between the 2 all season, thought both drivers drove very well. Plato was a bit OTT at points, fabrizo had amazing car control through out the season. Think the result could of been very different if Plato had not been badly injured earlier in the week.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Always rated matt as a driver, but the last season muller was in he was unfair.

He does have some dodgy driving manuvers, but then so do all of them, matt and plato dont get along, so matt has a thumbs up in my book as I hate plato with a passion!
    888 Coupe - The original and best!
    For sale - 1x Kidney, Slightly abused by alcohol
    £45,000 or Part Ex for VXR8 Bathurst-S

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Matt Neal is a different class....clean racing...not like plato the DD driver !

Absolutely brilliant news, that could only be bettered by announcing they're going back to astras !!!

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coo View Post
    Matt Neal is a different class....clean racing...not like plato the DD driver !
    Plato and Neal have exactly the same driving style, they're both prone to nudge the car in front when needed.

That's why they don't get on, they both drive the same and don't like it when some one else does it to them. They're the only two drivers in the BTCC that do it tho.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast