Thread: Air filter

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Air filter

I am fitting an air filter but it doesn't sound to good. I tried removing all the pipes to the carb and it sounds great. There is a black box on the pipe to the air box, Im assuming this is a silencer? if i cut this off and blank the holes this sould cure the problem sound't it??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are u on about the resonator on top of the intake manifold (basically the very end of the intake - sitting on top of the engine) its a kind of silencer but its there to ensure theres always a plentiful supply of air - without it - it can sometimes stall...having said that mines all been junked and it aint done it yet (mines 8v so slightly different)

Is the airbox secure and airtight? Any air leaks in the intake system at all?

sadly "doesnt sound too good" could cover a multitude of things.....are u comin to the meet tomorrow? If so I'll have a look

Is this what u mean?

Is the ATS (Air Temp Sensor) connected & secure

Check the Carbon Cannister too for vacuum leaks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah what you have arrowed. When i take the hole pipe of it sounds gr8. Im putting a cone filter on so it scraps the air box. It runs perfectly. I mite not be going up (Petrol redtrictions lol) but may appear at moor farm

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well as I said before u could scrap the resonator (Ive got a cone filter and some 6" dia ducting running direct from cone to throttle body) but the problem you would experience is youd need to relocate the air temp sensor somewhere within the air tract.

I seriously would advise against chopping the resonator off and bodging it up. Far better off either tracking the fault down and rectifying it or binning the entire intake altogether and fitting a custom pipe with a hole for the ATS to sit in.

EDIT: In my inexperience of the Z16XE I notice the resonator appears to be detachable therefore if u can remove it without much effort then it looks like its a goer

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it looks pretty attached do you know how the ATS comes out, may custom make a new pipe at work

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    should just twist and pull out....i aint got one but i'd have thought its straight forward

a custom pipe should be straight forward especially if u have the skills/tools

i just got some industrial pvc ducting lol - its not pretty but it does the job....my bonnet never opens (not literally) so its there for purpose not show! lol