Thread: 1.8 tuning options for differing budgets..?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

1.8 tuning options for differing budgets..?

hello hello hello looks like I'm posting in a petrol forum, that can't be right surely?!

anyways, I'm looking at my next car, which hopefully will be a 1.8 Coupe around a W/X/Y reg (not sure what engine code that will be so I thought I'd give the age of the vehicle)... so I'm now looking at tuning options at different prices, and what gains will be had from them.. first thing I'll do is the airbox and intake mos, but then what..?

if anyon can help me under the following budgets...

<£100
    £100-£250
    £250-£500
    £500-£1000
    £1000+

and then for each of those sections list the following: (1) what the item is, (2) what it will do (eg power/torque gains, throttle response) and (3) whether it should be done before/after/inconjunction with any other mods...

I'm a bit of a newbie with tuning NA petrol models, the only such car I've ever done was my old Peugeot 206 (1.6XS) on which all I did was fit a cat-back system and a panel filter

any/all help much oblidged
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    < 100 quid will be airbox mod + panel filter+ veccy intake = throttle sound will be louder + better breathing for the car + if u lucky ull be looking about 1hp or less gain.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <£100

1) Panel Filter, Derestrict Airbox, Veccy C Pipe £40(K&N), Free, £13(Vauxhall):£53
    2) At most 1-2 bhp( I got 1), slightly better throttle response
    3) First mod that should be done

1)Remus Centre Section, £75 LMF Vauxhall
    2)2-3 bhp at most, nice rumble, a tad improved torque
    3) Best with New SS backbox, may experience better gains

1) Neon undercar Lights, £20 ebay
    2) 10-15bhp
    3) Best combined with LED washer jets, big performance gains to be had.

£100-£250

1) Dblias Flowmaster intake, £240 posted Regal
    2)3-5 bhp(Cannot comment on this, quoted manufacturer improvement)
    3) Noticed more torque and more bite compared to Veccy C box.

1) Irmscher Back box + Remus Tube option, £150 ebay, more from VX Dealers, £75: <£250
    2)3-5bhp
    3) Can be mated with another back box, for different gains, I chose irmscher for lack of noise

1) Sabre EDV Electronic Dump Valve, £157 POTN.co.uk
    2)5-8 bhp
    3) Should be the first thing to do

£250-£500

1) Cams, Outright £440, Piper, Kent
    2) 5-10bhp
    3) Should be done after exhaust, induction and possibly manifold.

Thats it for now..... neeed to get back to work
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    when you're ready, i will have a spare cylinder head, cams, and timing gears available. I bought some spares to have machined. That might save you a couple of quid.

Z18XE tuning wise there's not a lot. If you're really serious about it then stump up and get the Dbilas turbo kit from Regal. I'll be looking for about 170 - 180 once i'm done. That will consist of modified cylinder head, reprofiled cams, Dbilas inlet manifold, Lexmaul exhaust manifold, and a decent remap. Other thatn the turbo kit there's not really a lot else available
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by haulme View Post
    1) Neon undercar Lights, £20 ebay
    2) 10-15bhp
    3) Best combined with LED washer jets, big performance gains to be had.
    only 10-15bhp? I reckon I'd be better getting the free ones of magazines and using those for 10bhp. then spend the £20 on a VXR badge and a "motorsport" sunstrip. must be 50bhp in each of those alone

Quote Originally Posted by haulme View Post
    1) Sabre EDV Electronic Dump Valve, £157 POTN.co.uk
    2)5-8 bhp
    3) Should be the first thing to do
    excuse me for being dumb, but £157 for what exactly? being non-turbo surely no point in DV..? don't tell me this is one of those noise simulators... if so, then perhaps I'll spend the £150 on some seatbelt warmers and a crash helmet as I'll need the extra protection with all the power from the above mods

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCoupe View Post
    when you're ready, i will have a spare cylinder head, cams, and timing gears available. I bought some spares to have machined. That might save you a couple of quid.

Z18XE tuning wise there's not a lot. If you're really serious about it then stump up and get the Dbilas turbo kit from Regal. I'll be looking for about 170 - 180 once i'm done. That will consist of modified cylinder head, reprofiled cams, Dbilas inlet manifold, Lexmaul exhaust manifold, and a decent remap. Other thatn the turbo kit there's not really a lot else available
    hmm may have to put the pennies away then. will be a while before I'm ready though, probably best part of a year or more (maybe turboing/similar would be a winter project) but the car would be undergoing MAJOR work before I even get to the engine tuning if I am going to go the whole hog like that

cheers for all the help guys, if anyone else has anything to add, then feel free to jump in any time
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.