Thread: Water pump

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Water pump

How important is it to change the water pump when doing the timing belt?, after taking some advice from a few members on here i was talking to a mate today who knows a good bit about vauxhall engines and he is telling me he has never done the water pump on any of his cars and its not a necccesary part to replace. Is this true?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The water pump is driven by the timing belt, it is now common practice to replace the pump at the same time as the belt kit due to the fact that after fitting and tensioning the new belt sods law the water pump will either start leaking or the bearings will become noisey, worse case they have been known to collapse.
    For the price of a water pump and the money it could save you it is highly recommended to fit a new pump at the same time as the timing belt.
    Your mate can't know his vauxhalls as well as he thinks he does as this is common knowledge at most dealers and independent garages
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is the pump inside the internal timing belt casing? also does the coolant have to be drained when replacing the pump?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes indeed, the pump is behind the timing belt covers held in place with three allen bolts
    When you remove the pump coolant will drain out anyway, you can drain the system first if you want too

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the reason i ask is because i am going to change the coolant myself this weekend, but what should i do because the belt kit, aux belt is getting done in two weeks time and im going to do this pump so should i just leave the coolant and let the garage do it?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just leave the coolant change untill the water pump is done with the belt kit as you'll be wasting money and coolant doing it now as it will be drained when the garage does the pump.
    If you've already bought the coolant don't worry, just give it to the garage when you get the job done, save's them charging you for it !

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks mate. when the coolant gets done it wont need touched for two years will it? one more question lol is it reccomended to do the pump always with the timing belt every 40k?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    In all honesty yes the pump should be changed every 40,000 with the belt, otherwise your relying on the pump doing 80,000 miles in total.
    And once changed the coolant will be fine for at least two years, the newer coolants around these days have a longer life span

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    techsteve tanks for ur help! When the mechanic drains the coolant and fits new pump will he just top the expansion tank up with the new stuff? one more question lol how many hours labour do you think it would take to do a t/b kit,water pump,new coolant and an auxilliary drive belt?

thanks michael

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think ur use of the term "mechanic" is a little far fetched if u need to ask these questions....lets just hope the said mechanic knows what to do!!!

Whole process shouldnt take more than 2hrs.

not just a case of topping the exp tank up...remember the whole system will have been drained so it all needs to be replaced (not just the amount in the tank itself)

Judging by your previous posts about this "mechanic" friend.... id be seriously inclined to take it to a local independent garage - pay approx £40/hour labour and have peace of mind its been done by a qualified professional who knows what a water pump is and why it is to be replaced!

Hope this dont sound too harsh...dont wanna see ur motor go t1ts up thats all.

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast