Thread: Astra MK4 / G Brake Bleeding?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Astra MK4 / G Brake Bleeding?

The car failed its mot on rear brake pipes and as the garage want £130 for what amounts to 3 farty little pipes I thought I would have a bash it it myself. I don't do as much mechanic work any more and Im not scared of a toolset but people have told me that bleeding the brakes on an Astra G/MK4 with ABS is a right pain in the arse. Ive got a brake bleeding kit (although its not pressurised) and have used it to bleed ABS equipped Cavs/MK3 Astras with no problems so would I be ok with this on my Astra? Also any tips would be appreciated
    Est 1996 Formally CavWeb
    Www.VauxhallOwnersNetwork.Co.uk

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bleeding Astras is not really any harder than any other car. The only difficult bit on Astras is when you change the pads especially the rear pads. Make sure you loosen the bleed nipple BEFORE trying to press the caliper piston back in as they do tend to flip the master cylinder seal and that's it trashed. You also need a caliper winding tool for the rear calipers, it's not essential but it does make life easier with one. They will then bleed up no problems.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    Bleeding Astras is not really any harder than any other car. The only difficult bit on Astras is when you change the pads especially the rear pads. Make sure you loosen the bleed nipple BEFORE trying to press the caliper piston back in as they do tend to flip the master cylinder seal and that's it trashed. You also need a caliper winding tool for the rear calipers, it's not essential but it does make life easier with one. They will then bleed up no problems.

Great!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tryed changing my pads on the back today and didnt do as above and now i gotta buy a new caliper,damm
    Astra Sri 2.2