Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

First attempt at doing things

Had a few things that needed doing at home but never sorted them due to not knowing how to fix them or having done it before.

First up was a leaking tap that has been getting worse and worse that now wouldnt stop dripping however hard you tried. Being as the house is 52 years old and it looked like the original taps there was no way the tap was going to come apart for a washer to be replaced or the 'seat' being re cut.

So having read up on the net about how to do it I thought I would have a go lol. Turned the water off held my breath and started the job.
    As expected the 52 years of paint and corrosion ment the tap wasnt comng apart so undid the tap and cut the pipe to where the 'flexi tap tails' were going to go. Removed the old tap, cleaned the copper pipe up (Removed the 20 layers of paint then sand paper), slid the 'flexi tap tail' on and did everything up. Did the same for the hot and job done.

Second job to do was sort out why our combi boiler wasn't giving out hot water unless the heating was on. Again I searched the net and narrowed it down to what I thought it was but had no real idea. On a thread on here I asked for elp/info and Dan888 suggested what he thought it could be being as he is a heating engineer. He suggested it was a flow valve (One of the things I thought it was) not sensing the flow of water and then heating it. Lura found the info that came with the boiler which was great as it gave quite a detailed guide on how to take items off/apart. So again with a deep breath I started taking things apart (Its a sealed boiler so no gas anywhere for me to upset) until I found the flow sensor. Took it off, gave it a clean up and tested it. It was now all working ok so put everything back together. And hay presto its now working. So a big thanks to Dan888 for saving me a plumber/heating engineer/gasman bill.

So I am now feeling quite proud of myself and not so scared of plumbing. Although I know it could have all gone horribly wrong
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good for you lee,saved a few pennys and now your lass will be having you building a kitchen extension next weekend

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    job well done then lee,

sounds like the same prob i have with my boiler aswell, gets annoying having to put the heating on everytime i want a shower
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Andy look on line for a schematic for your boiler and see where its located. It just clips to the pipe on mine so no real plumbing or gas to play with.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nicely done lee
    888 Coupe - The original and best!
    For sale - 1x Kidney, Slightly abused by alcohol
    £45,000 or Part Ex for VXR8 Bathurst-S

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee gsi View Post
    Andy look on line for a schematic for your boiler and see where its located. It just clips to the pipe on mine so no real plumbing or gas to play with.
    will do, my boiler is 22 years old tho so could be more hassle than its worth,

will take a look tho
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nothing like doing "trademans" jobs yourself and saving lots.