Thread: How Dangerous is it to.....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How Dangerous is it to.....

.... Wind me actuator up a lil bit. Will this make the car faster? Not a mechanic u c.
    Regal Phase 1 + Intercooler
    270BHP 300ftlb And Nothing Else, All standard

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Personally I won't touch my actuator - and I know a little bit about what's going on engine wise. The only way to do it properly is to put a device on it (can't remember the damned name) which has a gauge in it, you pump this and the pressure at which your actuator opens the wastegate is recorded.

If you do decide to tackle it yourself, use the smallest of turns (quarter or less).

The spring will weaken over time, so your wastegate opens under less pressure. What you're doing by altering the actuator scew is compensating for this, going too far will mean that the wastegate stays closed longer, and creates more boost. Get it very wrong and you will damage your engine - so do it a little at a time and make sure that you mark the original position.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The actuator is controlled by the ECU, so you will not get any power increase unless your actuator was already set incorrectly. If you do wind it up though, you could ruin drivability.
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't do it, it'll end in tears.
    Had a mint 90 spec Rs Turbo when i was younger and wound the Actuator up and for a while every thing was great left Scoobys standing then 1 day as i pulled away from a roundabout it rattled and banged and threw a Rod out of the block and mashed it trough the Turbo. Spoke to some Engine company and they laughed at me for doing it and not having it set up properly

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dunno, when I fitted my vxr turbo I left the actuator as it came. I was seeing 14-15 psi boost to the red line with 18 psi overboost. Thats with a stage 1 map. I've since wound my actuator back a little to make it safer until I get my front mount on..... It reduced the overboost a little and i'm now holding 12-13psi to the red line. Once I've got my front mount on I don't have a problem with turning it up slightly...
    Arden Astra GSI - Phase 3.5

EDS Phase 3.5 288 BHP 340 FT/LB

Inlet cam and Dbilas manifold.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You should never try to wind up the actuator on your car, we are sligthly lucky in that we have the ECU to cut the boost if things geta little too hairy, but as said can lead to terrible drivablitily as you car keeps cutting off. On an older engine you'll just lean your engine out by pushing too much air into the cylinders and not enough fuel, results in things going decidedly pair shaped, mainly resulting in whats called detination, which is where your mixture ignites before the spark plug fires. Det will kill your engine very quickly, as a friend of mine has found out on their fiesta RS turbo recently.

You can check it with a air hose and an inline air gauge. As you slowly feed the the air in you can check to see when the actuator actual opens, which opens your wastegate. So long as its accurate you can set it too open at the values of what you should expect to see for you stage of tune. If you have little or no experience of these sorts of things i would definitely leave it to a professional.