Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No Tax clamping - some advise.

Hi all,

Need some info regarding Clamping due to no tax. My dad was clamped on 16/03/07 due to no tax, yet he was about to have the car mot'd and then taxed afterwards.

He paid to have the clamp removed and also got the car mot'd and taxed. Yet he is now due in court due to the offense.

The advice we need is does it make a difference if they get the street name wrong.

The road he was clamped on was Wrekenton Row, yet the form states Rockcliffe Way, which if you look at a map, is the same road. Yet according to Maps, Street Signs and the fact that his car was outside his shop which is addressed Wrekenton Row.

What chances do you think he has?

Gav

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Slim at getting out of it

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    unlikely just on that evidence but you could use it to cast doubt on their case - if they can't even get the name of the road right then you could argue they got other things wrong too

TBH though and it may sound harsh, but I'm glad in a way that you've been caught. not because of you personally of course, but because it gives me some sort or reassurance that they do actually make some sort of attempt to chase people up - the amount of cars I see driving round with expired tax is ridiculous... next time you/your dad will remember to SORN it - considering its free to do and takes no time at all, should have meant you did it anyway just to be on the safe side
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did state that he was taking the car to be MOT'd (had to get his documents from his shop which is on Wrekenton Row), and without an MOT you can't get tax. I understand your views, and I did ask so I can't complain.

Yet it seems that even after paying them £200 (£80 for the offense and £120 deposit until the car was taxed.) they want to take him to court for it as well.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by gRoberts View Post
    Yet it seems that even after paying them £200 (£80 for the offense and £120 deposit until the car was taxed.) they want to take him to court for it as well.
    I don't understand why (or even how they're able) to prosectue if he's paid the fine. I thought the law that came in not so long back meant it was a straight £80 fine (plus any clamping fee) and if it was paid and the car taxed, that was the end of the matter. Fair enough if he got the £80 fine and didn't pay it for weeks/months/ever, but if he paid up in full straight away then they've no need to prosecute surely? seems a bit petty to me, like they don'tthink their own punishments (ie the fine) are enough of a deterrant so they want to go overboard... feel sorry they've gone down the whole court-case route with you, regardless of whether I think they should have clamped you/fined you or not...

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its my dad, you keep on writing as if its me lol.

His car would still be clamped if he hadn't paid the £80 fine. Plus he then had to pay a £120 deposit which he would only receive once he taxed the car and provided proof.

He paid this all the next day.

It doesn't clearly state that its due to him being clamped, but it states that the car was seen untaxed on the same day, which after he was unclamped the car was moved to private land.

If someone saw it on public land with no tax, they would of done the same as previous, clamped it or even towed it to be crushed.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    I know it's your dad, I just use "you" as in the plural term, as you're his representative on here... I can't be arsed writing his/him/he all the time

I'm not sure what to say mate other than to query why the fine wasn't the end of it. Fair enough if he'd been pulled over 4 months after it expired, and having had it MOT'd months previous, but considering it wasn't MOT'd and thus could not be taxed seems a little harsh IMO.

is there no way you can prove it was off the public highway right up until the day it was spotted? I know it doesn't excuse it as he should have SORN'ed it, but at least it would add weight to his defense and lessen any further punishment

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bit off topic but a mate of mine almost got his car towed for no tax!!!

Was getting ready to be moved to garages for a while and police came around with lorries to load up all the untaxed cars!!!!

Luckily they had run out of room to fit his car on so we did a runner when they went off for another lorry. Haha. Was a bit scary though i must admit.

Unlucky though my friend. Hope your dad gets out of it lightly.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    once the clamp was removed, the car was moved to private land until it was MOT'd, we even have proof as we left on a friends driveway which was on the road in question and not the road where he was clamped.

he's going to argue all the way but I can see him being stung with a large fine.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its really not worth it friend been done before. best to face facts been cought pay the fine, and dont do it again
    Spider pig ! Spider pig !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast