2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter

Diary of a Boot Install

Part One

Well being a bit of an ICE freak I ripped out the install from the 'State a (yet again ) a couple of months ago, with a view to building a new one... Seeing as this is the third time I've done this since owning the car (Oct last year) and on each occasion I've never even finished the trimming etc of any of them, I deceided that this time I'll actually get the install finished As I'm also looking to change cars within a few months too, this install will be the last in the 'State as well

Now, I had a few considerations when planning this install...

1. The install had to be easily protected from the dogs, and any tools/equipment I might put in the boot for work
    2. The install had to leave me with at least 50% of my boot space due to work/dogs/cricket etc
    3. All wiring had to be hidden (to keep it from the dogs)

combined with the fact I wanted it not only to kick like a mule but to sound crystal clear when watching DVDs etc, AND as I want to incorporate the zoneXzone (zXz) feature on the headunit, a little planning was required...

cue the construction of a basic false floor, and a few weeks driving round like this...

Work in Progress shots of building the false floor...

NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Part Two

So after a while driving round with the 25mm MDF false floor in the boot, including a 500 mile round trip to Yorkshire and a 300 mile round trip to Lincolnshire, I decided the floor was too big and heavy, and would be a pain in the arse to shift around once the rest of the install was in place... I even made up a couple of enclosures for my two subs and tried them in place to test it...

Yup, I was right. Far too heavy so out it came and a new one put in (this time in mere 3mm MDF)

I also decided to be a bit more accurate with the shape of the floor this time, and used the carpet as a template rather than making my own with card

Work in Progress pics.

The shape was good, as a trial refit of the carpet confirmed...

just a bit of excess to trim off a few places...

and its done...

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Part Three

After completing the false floor (forgot to mention, the difference in strength between the old 25mm floor and the new 3mm floor has been offset by the addition of extra 25mm battens for the frame that the false floor sits on ) I then decided I was going to ensure the install got trimmed this time... I chose to use black vinyl purely because I had a load left over from a previous install and as its fairly hard-wearing, and is easily cleaned, it would be perfect for a boot that will have dogs/tools/gym equipment/car parts etc in it

Floor covered...

So what to put on top of the false floor..?

Well whilst building the floor, I sat and had a rethink about how to protect the equipment from the dogs, and thus a new design was born, which meant only one sub box could be fitted.

I also decided that putting the amp up on a raised rack would be a good idea, in case of water spillage or (god forbid!) dog wee..!

( these last two pics also show how I can either have the amp upright, or at an angle, depending on if I need a little more boot space later )

In order to incorporate my plan for protecting the equipment, something would also have to be done about the wheel arches, as I would need a simple-shaped space to work with, so I set about boxing in the sides of the boot...

now at this point I had planned on boxing in the sides right up to the windows, but after a little consideration, I decided it would be easier to stop just under the load cover runners, and thus the load cover could be refitted at a later date and would hide the install even further from view

so out came the saw and a bit was chopped off..

I then noticed that the bit I chopped off above would be perfect for the top of this side box, so that saved a bit of hassle after a few minutes sanding

part four to follow tomorrow...

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bloody hell pete. when you look up multitalented your names gunna be underneath it haha.
    cant wait to see it finished

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    ICE is really my thing though Lee, everything else comes through things I've had to learn in order to fit stereos and whatnot I also beleive there can't be anything a mechanic/bodyshop/ICE installer can do that I can't learn to do myself given the time and the equipment

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I hope you have the sub nox, and amp rack bolted to the false floor....

Sub-missile springs to mind otherwise...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    all will be revealed in due course Coo, I've changed the floor (again ) today as I wasn't happy with the shape, and thus everything came back out. enclosure, amp rack & wheel arch covers/boxes are all secure (they need to be with the dogs & tools etc in the boot too) and I have made a special feature to keep everything safe/secure as well, all will be revealed when I finish it tomorrow morning

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well you had the car from 0ctober '06 until late '07, changed the boot install around 4 times and NEVER finsished it lol, hope you have better luck on the mk3.
    Vectra GSi SeatsHella Headlights
    17" alloysPiper 3" rolled exhaust
    GSi Bumper & skirts
    Dropped on Coilovers

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    may never have finished it completely i.e trimming, by fk me it sure as hell sounded good when it was plumbed in (Install v2.5 ~July '07)

mk3 will be finished once then thats it (famous last words). not going to need to worry about the dogs just a bit of space for big cricket bags so will be easier

won't be for a while though

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont need room for cricket bags, you have back seats, fill the boot!!!
    Vectra GSi SeatsHella Headlights
    17" alloysPiper 3" rolled exhaust
    GSi Bumper & skirts
    Dropped on Coilovers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast