Thread: engine change

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

engine change

ok ppl i have got my self in a bit of bother,my cambelt snaped on my 1.4 8v single point injecton n reg so i bought an astra 2.0l injection k reg.
    im prity serton i can i can put it in its just the wiring im not sure about .
    will i have to have the dashes out and change the wiring loom and ecu or cud i just join wires together?
    ordose anyone know of a fair priced auto electrision in dundee?

cherrs for any help

john

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You shouldnt have to do any real wiring. The engine loom is seperate from the interior look. You will need to change this and the ECU. Only wiring that maybe required are to do with your positive and negatives, but its only 3 wires. You will also eed to change the gearbox, drive shaft, fnt hubs, & radaitor.

If the cambelt snapped on the 1.4 then you will get away with just putting another on. 8v has enough valve clearance that you wont get bent valves when it goes.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok cool thats helped alot,just gota find the ecu lol,im gessing the loom for the engine will just plug in to the ecu then sounds simple lol
    already thort i wud have to change the driveshafts and hubs but dudent no bout the rad lol

cherrs for ur help mate

john

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You will need to use the 2.0 engine loom.ECU is located behind the drivers side kick panel where the bonnet release is.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey! I know its not an electrical question but im swapping in a 2.0L red top in my mark II. been a mechanic for 15 years so no real tech issues, just wanted to know the easiest route for engine mounts? Already done suspension incl hubs brakes, rad,ecu and loom. Thanks for any help guys.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What is it you need to know about the mounts? the standard 2.0 ones should fit straight on?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    rite the engines in (thank **** ) lol,ecu and wiring was dificult but in the end all i had to do was at the batery tray there was a plug to conect the to parts of the loom together,well i had to cut the wires and use the 2.0l plug,so all thats left is front serspension struts and hubs,exhaused system,fit the driveshafts ,gearbox oil and power sterring fluid.

do i need to bleed the power stering?

wud the 1.4 front brakes still be ok if i left them on to save messin around with them?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 1.4 brakes wont fit. The hubs on the 2.0 are bigger so the 1.4;s wont fit back on, besides which you would need to be on a death wish to use them really. 2.0 brakes arent expensive to fit, discs and pads from the local motor factors arent expensive and if you need calipers let me know as I have a set.
    Power steering should bleed itself back up just start the car up and turn it a few times lock to lock topping the fluid up to the right level.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no worrys i got the brakes of the doner car in the end was a bit fidly but got there,nearly done just gota replace the lower bulljoints and the sterring rack joints,get the gear stick to engage the rite gears and put the fluids in then she done .......i think lol