Thread: Fuel Computer - Range

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fuel Computer - Range

Learnt a valuable lesson today .... Don't trust the bloody fuel computer when it says there's 15 miles left on the Range as that seems to equate to the tank being empty!

Cheers
    Craig

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    personally i would never let it get as low as 15miles left as it would be sucking all the crap up off the bottom of the tank. plus the fuel computer work on your average driving consumption for the last 5miles so if you are driving like a wimp then it might say 15miles left but if u then drive hard the actual amount of fuel u have might only give u a few miles
    Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenet15 View Post
    personally i would never let it get as low as 15miles left as it would be sucking all the crap up off the bottom of the tank. plus the fuel computer work on your average driving consumption for the last 5miles so if you are driving like a wimp then it might say 15miles left but if u then drive hard the actual amount of fuel u have might only give u a few miles
    Watch who's comin' at you! Why? Who's got the power?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure where you get your info from so will correct the statements below

personally i would never let it get as low as 15miles left as it would be sucking all the crap up off the bottom of the tank.

the fuel is always being taken from the same place in the tank i.e. the bottom so this is nonsense. There is not a wobbly pipie floating on the fuel it has to suck from the bottom else or it would not work when the fuel gets low. There is a depression in the tank on the passenger side (the impression for the exhaust is where it starts) that catches approx 1 gallon that you can never use. All the rubbish is heavier than the petrol so stays there. When people moan they have dirt or water in their tank it has been slowly accumulating and has filled this area

plus the fuel computer work on your average driving consumption for the last 5miles so if you are driving like a wimp then it might say 15miles left but if u then drive hard the actual amount of fuel u have might only give u a few miles

The fuel computer works from the average since you last reset it not the last 5 miles. Test it you will see. I use my average consumption figure to work out how far I can go on LPG. The LPG fuel gauge is very vague so this is an invaluable tool for me
    Be Happy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lol - I found that one out the hard way too! My old Mk3 would go down to zero and stop a few mile later, and Coupe runs out at 15. I start panicing when I get to 20!
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm still in the stone age with my analog gauge MK3, but the fiesta courtesy car I had was awesome. I drove 35 miles when the display read (0) miles, s**ting myself all the way home from bournemouth when all the garages were closed lol.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My coupe wont start when theres less than 23ish miles left. Although all the vectras as work will go on for ages when they're showing 0miles left.
    V-tec is like bad sex.... You wait ages for the excitement, then when it comes your needle drops and you've wasted all your money"