Thread: another smokey coupe :(

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

another smokey coupe :(

seems to be a common occurance with these!!

right, last week, after 1 day of owning her, i noticed a blue smoke coming from the back when i was changing gears in he lower range. as i had just bought it from a garage i have a years waranty and i got on the phone to them as soon as i could.

later that night, the engine management light came on and wouldnt go out. i wasnt in limp mode as i could get plenty of revs but took it slow until i got home. got it into garage and they informed me that it required a new emissions sensor (?!) - this gets replaced and when i call up to ask if its ready, he tells me that it never cured the problem and is now saying that some sort of air mass sensor.

just picked the car up and runs a treat! well chuffed!! until about 10 miles from home, going up hill in 5th i notice the puff of smoke back again and sure enough, the dreaded engine management light comes back on!!

theres no real trend to when it smokes, its totally random as i could either be accelerating gently or de-acceleration, or cruising along at 30.

any ideas?
    someone suggested the head gastket but im not too sure if my warranty covers this - if not, how much for a new one and how hard to replace?

i had intended to get it to wallace performance for the rollers but reckon they could hook it up to see if somethings running too rich?

thanks for taking time to read all that but i need reasurance that its not ****ed

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm guessing its a Coupe Turbo?

Blue smoke is usually the last sign that the turbo is dying!
    Common on the LET from about 60-80k miles
    I'm after another Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Take it back to that garage you bought it from and ask them to replace the turbo.

Unless you have oil in your water or white gunk in the head it won't be the head gasket.
    Europa Blue Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Turbo...

Hello matey, i have a 51 plate coupe t, bought it on 62k and about 4k later, admittadly hard driving, the turbo gave up.big time! loss of all power and lots of smoke! Mine filled the intercooler with oil, and smoked like buggery, it may well be your turbo methinks. i work for an audi dealer as a service advisor, personally i've never seen a car smoke due to a sensor fault, at least, certainly not a lambda probe. i doubt it's the head gasket, i'm afraid it may be time..... just give it lots of stick and it should give up totally soon enough! lol- I'M JOKING!!! i can almost promise you they'll avoid replacing it at all costs, but make sure you stick at them....James
    Fully Spec'd Sleeper Coupe Turbo. OE bodywork, Courtenay FMIC, VXR Injectors, VXR afm, Milltek Exhaust, Stage 4 map, Cdti Airbox, Courtenay Top hat....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    i'd opt for a turbo change everytime it started smoking. if it isnt then sell it on ebay just under what u payed for it. yes its a bit to shell out but less than an engine rebuild. the Z20LET is quite robust so should see 150k without problems in standard tune, turbo's if not looked after are more prone to fail if not warmed up and cooled down properly.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi guys, been offline for a while.

i still have a FULL years warranty on it so that means i aint spending a dime on it until after that. i doubt they'l replace the turbo until, as you say, it goes pop!! i got it rolling roaded and was running off the scale with regards to richness. this was found to be from a duff fse boost valve that some twit fitted before me. its due in this wed to get it put back to standard so well see then.

on that note, can a RR discover if my turbos not operating at full tilt?

thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They should be able to tell you what boost it's running and may be able to give you an idea of how well/knackered it is.

I do know running rich doesn't do well for performance - My VXR was running way too rich at a recent RR day and was at least 10BHP down on power compared to standard! My AFR was also off the rich end of the scale.

It would be worth seeing what it's like after you've reverted to standard. It may well be overfuelling like mad and this could be what's bringing the EML on.
    2006 Astra VXR on 19's in Arden Blue
    ExhaustsUK Catback, Eibach Sportlines, DS Ultima, Roose hose kit, Forge recirculating dump valve, Full self modded SMD conversion

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    gnasher - yeah, i think this is the cause of the eml and by returning back to standard will hopefully cure it up. its a mod that really shouldnt be done on the car as it affects the performance.

once cleared up, ill get to rr again to see any diff.