Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alloy wheel weight and recommendations

Hi all

I am about this close to buying some 18" sportstars.

Does anyone know how heavy each alloy is?

Failing that does anyone have recommendations on lightweight alloys in a multispoke design.

I was thinking OZ ultraleggeras in graphite or team dynamics race 1.2
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The sportstars arnt massivley heavy, but they are understandably more so than the 17" standard alloys and they do slow you down very slightly. I have them on, and absolutley love them, they look fantastic so the tiny sacrifice in acceleration is worth it to me.

However....be warned 8J ET35!! They will rub the rear arches, if you have lowered the car even just 30mm. Perticulally the front part of the arch lip, they tend to rub and ping them out a little! If you fit them you will need to grind or roll the rear archs. The Irmscher fitting kit that includes new brackets, actually tells you to grind about 4mm off the arches all the way round. If that worrys you a little, which it should, then I'd got with the race 1.2's, lighter and with a better offset that wont casue problems.

For me, it was worth the hasstle, the 8" wheels and the ET35 offset gives the car a 2 inch extra wide track. It looks the dogs bollocks and it totaly transforms the handeling, i'm guessing thats why 888 went that way when they built the coupe. Wen you way up the pro's, a little arch work seems nothing, well to me anyway. But you do need to bear it in mind when deciding which way to go.

Hope thats some help.

Adam