Thread: Oil in water, W reg 1.7 DTi

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Oil in water, W reg 1.7 DTi

Hey, just joined the site, so hi everybody....
    Got myself a 1.7 DTi estate, and noticed a large amount of thick black sludge in the coolant header tank. I've seen a couple of similar threads on the site that say don't worry about it, it's normal, etc. but just wanted a kind of definitive answer on this one... It looks like the original manufacturer's hose clips on the header tank, so I'm guessing it's never been flushed out in 117k miles. No probs with the car at all, starts and runs sweet, no water in oil, oil looks nice and clean, and engine runs at a nice 85-90 deg. C, eg no overheating. What's the best thing to do...? Thanks for any advice!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi welcome to AOC,yes oil in the headertank is a common problem with 1.7dti,i have the same problem with no ill effect to performance ect,before i change the coolant i get as much of the sludge out before draining the system,i use some old rag/cloth rapped around a piece of wood/garden cane ect,the oil then sticks to the cloth it takes a few go's but you can get the majority out,then drain coolant,remove headertank and clean with white spirits then household detergent,then refill,i've found after an oil change i get a bit more than normal collecting in the header [maybe as the oil is slightly thinner],usually change coolant twice a year and keep an eye on the header tank.
    hope this helps

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow Oil in water

Cool, thanks for the info, I'll do that tomorrow! What is the cause of it, is it just a crap-ly sealing head gasket? If so, are there any permanent fixes, and does the oil degrade the rubber hoses in the coolant system? The last thing I want is to lose all my coolant very suddenly due to an eroded hose!!! Cheers!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Only real thing you should consider is to change the coolant before the frosty season - the oil will kill the antifreeze.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks ZS, I will do that too. I took all the oil out today, there really wasn't as much as it first appeared, just a 5-6 mm layer floating on the coolant, so fingers crossed it's not a big problem! Still concerned about damaged hoses though, but if this is gonna continually reoccur, is there any point in changing them?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my dti has had this problem for 2+ years and the hoses have not split,as long as you check them out once in a while you should be fine mate,as you said above when you remove the floating oil out of the header you can see that there is not alot there and coolant below is quite clear,
    good luck with the motor

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi m8 the prob is the oil cooler next to the oil filter they **** up if vaux anti freeze is not used .
    had the same prob with my van

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

Nice one folks, cheers for the info!