Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy clutch slave cylinder

hi

my 1.4 W reg astra broke down on thursday, I managed to get it to the nearest garage. They told me that the clutch slave cylinder needed replacing. The garage told me that on most cars this is on the out side of the clutch but on my car it is on the inside so it is more difficult, they are charging me for 7 hours labour and £90 for a new slave cylender total cost £380. Is this unreasonable, I have the whole clutch repalced on my old fiesta and that was £200

Cheers

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The garage is correct - the slave cylinder is in the gear box, and to get to it the front subframe needs to come off, before the gearbox can come out.

Depending on the mileage I'd recommend that you replace the clutch, whilst they are doing it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yer its true mate most modern cars now are hydraulic and is far better to have the slave on the inside but unfortunatly this means the box has to come off and that means the engine has to be supported as the engine sits on a sub frame along with the suspension etc as 4 the feista they were easy as no sub frame i a gree the earlier vauxhall box as in the f16's etc were so easy as had a plate to undo errr 7 hrs is about right
    courtney stage 3 zafira,Mitsubishi evo geek mapped to 389 and 470 lb of torque

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

cheers for your help , better get my credit car out then

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A decent garage with a four post lift and a subframe jig can do it in 3 hours. I know a vaux tech that has got it down to an hour. 7 hours is a bit of a joke, I could do it on my driveway quicker. However....the price is pretty average and Ill doubt youl find it much cheaper. Where abouts are you?

Why does nobody ever put there location on there avatar?