Thread: Original H/U powering speakers, new Amp just powering Sub?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Original H/U powering speakers, new Amp just powering Sub?

Hi all,

I've never installed a sub myself, but i've been reading up on how to/what to buy etc.. I'm interested in hooking up an amp and a fat sub to the original head unit on my mk5 5door astra. I'm not going to replace the h/u, because I prefer it and i'm not gonna rewire all of the speakers!

I've decided to add a sub by connecting the rear two speaker connections into a line Output Converter which converts them to RCA cables (into ze amp). My question is, there any way to keep the H/U powering the standard speakers, and having an amp just power a subwoofer?

Any other alternatives.. such as splicing the Line Output Converter into the rear speaker cables, and leaving them connected to the speakers? Could this be possible if I got a converter that could also boost the signal to the amp?

Any replies appreciated!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    personally i wouldnt see the point in this - you get virtually no power from the original headunit to send to the amp and the standard h/u is likely to overheat if you try to use it in this way. My advice would be to change the h/u for sure and run it off that as they are designed to do the job! also i ran subs with standard door speakers and they soon broke as they were being pushed so hard.

jarvis
    Mk5 Astra Sxi, 18'' Kei racing force 10's, Eibach Pro street S Coilovers, Full JDL tuning bodykit, Irmscher spoiler and Lazer cut Grille, de-badged

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craig_astraH View Post
    personally i wouldnt see the point in this - you get virtually no power from the original headunit to send to the amp and the standard h/u is likely to overheat if you try to use it in this way. My advice would be to change the h/u for sure and run it off that as they are designed to do the job! also i ran subs with standard door speakers and they soon broke as they were being pushed so hard.

jarvis

also, you dont have to rewire all the speakers to do this as you can get a converter block to attatch to the standard wiring - almost effortless!
    Mk5 Astra Sxi, 18'' Kei racing force 10's, Eibach Pro street S Coilovers, Full JDL tuning bodykit, Irmscher spoiler and Lazer cut Grille, de-badged

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullpop View Post
    such as splicing the Line Output Converter into the rear speaker cables, and leaving them connected to the speakers? Could this be possible if I got a converter that could also boost the signal to the amp?

Any replies appreciated!
    That's the way to go with what you want to achieve, you don't need to boost the signal to the amp, the speaker > line converter is fine, use the amps volume to balance the subs against the standard speakers.

I have 2 1000w subs in the boot which are fed from the rear speaker outputs (using a line converter) and have no problems at all. When balancing the volumes remember to set the bass to 0 on the head unit, use the frequency response on the amp to fill the gap so you have the complete range. This has the benefit of allowing you to drive the standard speakers a little harder as they have virtually no bass going to them.