Thread: Diagnosis of this problem?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Diagnosis of this problem?

This problem has been getting worse recently but Ive also recently amassed the money to fix it, if it's what I think it is. Anyway, the problem:

When accelerating, the car often struggles to get power, like when you try moving from a standstill in 3rd gear, then it'll kick in and be fine, or it'll kangaroo until around 4k-5k revs then it'll be fine. Sometimes when I start the engine from cold, it'll be fine for about 5 mins then it'll start to struggle.

The engine light comes on sometimes but then as soon as I floor it and reach around 70mph it goes off then comes on again when I'm cruising.

I've changed the spark plugs and reading various other posts it sounds like it could be the coilpack, the car has don 106k miles and I dont think it's ever been replaced.

Or could it be the EGR valve? I've read about taking that off and cleaning it, but I wouldnt know where to start
    Astra is coming back..bigger badder and better
    ..or is it? Thinking of buying a coupe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First of all u need to read the fault codes to diagnose the exact fault. Cleaning the egr would be a good idea regardless of what fault code is stored. What year and model is it? As this determines how to have the codes read.. Pre 2000 and u can read them ur self.. After that then it'll have to be a diagnostic hook up.. Now i'm on my phone typing this so can't go into detail but hopefully someone will be along soon to elaborate.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its a 98 MK4, I read your post about the paperclip method so I'll do that tomorrow.

I'll get some carb cleaner and give the EGR valve a clean too and let you know what happens.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm never know you could do early mk4's with a paperclip too! learn something new every day!
    X20XEV Gsi Now sold but now have a Corsa GSi C20XE

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

I had this problem with my car also, 2000 X18 astra, on the computer the fault was showing up as the lambda sensor, replaced this twice to no avail, then replaced the EGR valve, did make the car run a bit better but didn't solve the problem, the girlfriends dad then suggested i change the AFM (Air Flow Meter) as he had this problem on a cavalier a few years ago. Solved the problem! just my 2p's worth but hope it helps mate.
    2000 Astra 1.8 16v Sport Black (5dr)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had the same problem on my 1.6 16v 1998 x16xel mk4 and a new coil pack fixed it straight away! but yer give all the nooks n crannys in ur engine a good clean, even if it doesnt solve it it will make the engine look nicer and get rid of some weight lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had that on my '98 mk 1.4, after about 10 minutes of running it would drop a cylinder, and just wouldn't accelerate as it would 12 minutes before. But after replacing the sparkplugs and coil pack, the problem was solved!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine does this z18xe, have changed coil, plugs, knock and camshaft sensors as these all showed fault codes but still not running right

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sumthing is wrong with this type of engine ive got the symptoms aswell in my x18xe1 but i never worried about it i just put push it hard coz im thinking its the mods that i did caused it

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundaycruise.co.uk View Post
    mine does this z18xe, have changed coil, plugs, knock and camshaft sensors as these all showed fault codes but still not running right
    try changing the AFM. I'm hopefully getting a new coil pack tomorrow and fingers crossed it sorts the problem because the car is underivable most of the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast