Thread: Exhaust manifold gasket question

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Exhaust manifold gasket question

Hi all, yesterday I had a vx mechanic out to look at my car. He'd previously changed the cam belt and when starting the car it was making quite a high pitched squealing sound for a few seconds. I thought it was cam belt related so got him out. Anyway, he said it was the exhaust manifold gasket that had come loose/off and needed replacing. Is this a common thing for Z20LETs? Seems to be a few threads on here but they're giving different symptoms to mine. As I said, mine is making a squealing/squeaking sound on start up, esp when it's cold. It is coming from that area too and doesn't sound too healthy!

The other thing that I've been reading in the various threads is about the manifold cracking. If that is discovered to be cracked I assume it means a new turbo? On Regal you can get the VXR turbo but it says about it needing a software upgrade (another 400 quid) to stop it damaging the engine. Is this essential?

Just trying to work out what I'm looking at here money wise... as I have none at the moment it could be a show stopper!

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No the Z20LET engine will run fine with the VXR turbo fitted. Mine has been on for well over 6 months now still on the standard map.
    Plenty of other people run this set-up as well.