Thread: Problems with power steering

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Problems with power steering

I'm hoping some of you could help me here. Every now and then I have a loss of power steering but this only occurs when I start the car and it only happens for a few minutes at the most and then returns to normal. It happened last night but before that it was a few weeks ago. Any ideas?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Electrical problem?

Astra-G/H power steering is electric/hydraulic operation and has an automatic cut-out so that if the alternator isn't charging the battery properly then power assistance for the steering is disabled.

Get an auto electrician to check both alternator and battery.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if its not the above then it could very likely be the pump itself.

Very common failure on early models if the TRW Generation 1 pump was fitted (tall round plastic reservoir with metal ribbed body) the Generation 2 was fitted at a later date in place of this faulty type and this has a tubby round reservoir and a smooth metal body...theres also the Delphi type pump which has an odd shaped angular reservoir.

If u have the Gen 1 pump and your experiencing the loss of power assistance then its highly likely its a knackered pump.

Whats the age of ur car and any idea what the pump looks like?

Sometimes just by removing the pump (easy enough) and cleaning or replacing the wiring harness it resolves it...other times its easier to replace the whole unit.
    Cant get them new anymore but a full remanufactured one can be had for approx £200 with a 3yr warranty - this is what i got for peace of mind....u could of course get a scrappy one with zero warranty,

Anyway....do as the above post suggests and get the alternator/battery checked out - hopefully its just this as these are dead easy to remedy.

HTH

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure what it looks like to be honest mate. It's a 2004 MK4. I'll get the above checked out first. I hope that's all it is though. Cheers guys.