Thread: Need some advice RE: service at main dealers today

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need some advice RE: service at main dealers today

Just picked my car up after having a service and MOT today at a vauxhall dealer in Manchester.
    Tried a new vauxhall dealer this year after having suspisions that my car was treated badly by the last dealer I tried, so today as I dropped the car off made a note of the milage, average consumption (reset 5 miles away from the garage) and range from the trip computer. Milage was 57286, avg consumption 39.2 mpg and range 138 miles. Aso told them not to mess with the engine map incase they wrote over my remap (probably a mistake to mention this)

Picked the car up this evening, checked the trip computer before I left the dealer and the car had been driven for 5 miles, the range was now 112 miles and the average consumption down to 18.3 mpg

Spoke to the guy on the service desk and said I wasn't happy and that the car had obviously been abused for those 5 miles to get the fuel consumption to drop by 21mpg, he said he will speak to the technician tomorrow and give me a ring.
    Sorry for the essay, but wondering where I stand with this, the car has obviously been thrashed from cold for those 5 miles so could have caused engine damage and tyre and clutch wear. I'm not complaining trying to get compensation, it is the principal of it, I don't thrash my car from cold so definitely don't expect someone else to do so, especially when I am paying stupid prices for a service in the first place.

Do I have cause to complain? Would it be best to speak to the service manager or Vauxhall Head Office? All help will be very welcome.

Cheers

Tom

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well you are definitely right to complain..

i sure as hell would if I had a turbo

Im not sure on how u stand or the best way forward so I cant comment on that score....all I can say is all the best and hope u get some explanation or at least an apology or something.

What exactly were u gettin done? Just a usual service/MOT

Therefore why the hell did they take it out anyway.... Ive only ever left my car once at the dealers so not sure on standard procedure for service work etc but If they did take it out for 5miles Id be surprised this was the done thing...... then again what the f*** do I know about Vx dealers.... = NOWT!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did not even do 5 miles when I took a car out for a test drive,ask them why they took it out...you may get something back

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jesus nowt like jumping to a conclusion. Test driving a car in for service is pretty standard practice to ensure everythings as it should be. As for range, not the most accurate of ways to tell what your cars been doing, car only needs to be sat idleing for a bit to bring that reading right down.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I realise they usually give the car a test drive to check everything is ok but 5 miles??
    For the fuel consumption to drop that much it must have been idleing for hours or trashed for those 5 miles.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    took my sxi in for a service and mot, i reset the trip comp when i dropped it off and when i picked it up after work it had 13miles on the clock and they didn't even bother resetting the trip comp

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    if i leave my zaffy in the garage running the range drops a lot as it burning 0,2 Gallon per hour sitting still
    the fuel consumption also drops

most Dealers do a Road test after work has been done mate
    i would be upset if they did not road test if after they fixed a prob on the car
    the technician might of went for a drive with Tech 2 pluged in

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Were the brakes done? I know my dealer will bed in new discs and pads if they fit them, which is a case of accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake, etc. That soon gallops the fuel.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Jesus nowt like jumping to a conclusion. Test driving a car in for service is pretty standard practice to ensure everythings as it should be. As for range, not the most accurate of ways to tell what your cars been doing, car only needs to be sat idleing for a bit to bring that reading right down.
    Have to agree there i lost 17 miles off my range sat in the queue waiting to get in to Trax, when the fuel is relatively low it drops off pretty quick

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS View Post
    Were the brakes done? I know my dealer will bed in new discs and pads if they fit them, which is a case of accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake, etc. That soon gallops the fuel.
    No new brakes or pads or fluid, at 0.2 gallons per hour on idle it would have to be sat there for ages before any noticable change in range, even then it does not effect the avg. fuel consumption. Still very pissed off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast