Thread: Yet another car drinking a lot of oil.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yet another car drinking a lot of oil.

Hi,

I have just done a trip of about 200 miles, mainly motorway driving around 70mph, but some town driving. The car in question is an '03 reg astra sri 16v ac. Problem is it drank it's whole tank of oil. It's not in the coolant, it's not leaking onto the drive and I haven't noticed it smoking. Other symptoms, may be unrelated, are the aircon has died and the responsiveness in first gear is very very slow to pick up. It has been ongoing for just over a week now and it's fortuantly still under warranty from NetworkQ and going into the garage tmrw. Anyone have any thoughts as to what this could be?

Thanks,

Frostie

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I forgot to mention, there are no eml lights on, and the temperature is about 85 regardless of driving conditions!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Unfortunately some vx engines suffered with oil burning, they will probably put a tag on the dipstick and then keep an eye on the usage situation as to whether to cover this under warrenty, 1 litre per thousand miles is what they consider acceptable, any more than that you may get a new engine
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My X18XE1 did the same, I always keep a drum of oil in the boot in case it needs it when im far from home. Though lately as it approaches 60,000 miles its using less and less thank god.
    Irmscher MK3 Astra Irmscher Mk4 SXi 1.8 16V Vectra C CDTi Astra H 1.7 CDTi XP Moonland SRi CDTi Sporthatch Astra VXR

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techsteve View Post
    Unfortunately some vx engines suffered with oil burning, they will probably put a tag on the dipstick and then keep an eye on the usage situation as to whether to cover this under warrenty, 1 litre per thousand miles is what they consider acceptable, any more than that you may get a new engine
    Cheers, my problem is that I'm doing about 150 miles a day to work and the fuel consumption has dropped considerably, probably gonna cost me £30 a day if I keep with it! You reckon it might be worth trading it in against a different car?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quick update. NetworkQ cannot find any initial leaking. They want to keep it in for a further 24hours and promised me a courtesy car!