Thread: Just had car on the rollers....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just had car on the rollers....

Had my car (04 Astra GSi - Z20LET) on a rolling road today at V Sport near Durham, and it only made 185.3 bhp. In March this year at Well Lane it made 215bhp. It certainly doesn't feel like its lost any power, and I changed the boost control solenoid after Well Lane to try and cure a big flat spot between 3500 and 5500rpm.
    I paid an extra fiver today to have the boost and emmissions checked on the rolling road, as the flat spot still seems to be there a bit. He said that it wasn't holding boost and that it was running lean, so he pretty much aborted the run.

However on the road the boost gauge shows that the boost never drops and is held constantly fine!?

I'm wondering if he left the traction control switched on??? But surely it wouldn't drive up to 6000rpm with it on would it??????

I switched the traction control off as I drove onto the rollers, and left the engine running. He then switched the engine off to connect the boost measuring pipe for the dyno, then started the car up. If he didn't press the traction control button again, it would have been on again.

So my question is: Would it still drive up on the rollers with traction control on,or would it kick straight in and be obvious???

Also: If I had a boost leak, wouldn't my boost gauge show this????????

Any ideas and help appreciated, as the car drives as strong as ever on the road!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    are you not meant to remove the tc fuse before a run?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the traction control was on your power would be far lower mate, also the light would be flashing like mad and would be hard 2 miss, i would'nt be to concerned with the reading you got, my GSI only made 193bhp on thorney motorsports rollers and it had a full exhaust system on it. As for the flat spot it is normal for z20let.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin GSI View Post
    If the traction control was on your power would be far lower mate, also the light would be flashing like mad and would be hard 2 miss, i would'nt be to concerned with the reading you got, my GSI only made 193bhp on thorney motorsports rollers and it had a full exhaust system on it. As for the flat spot it is normal for z20let.
    Aye, I know flat spot is normal, but its bloody annoying, and the guy at Well Lane said it was the worst one he'd seen!! I figured he'd probably see the TC light, but you never know!! Anybody know if it would still drive up ok on the rollers??

Quote Originally Posted by NEVE'O View Post
    are you not meant to remove the tc fuse before a run?
    Not when its switchable like on the GSi's.

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie-Chris View Post
    Not when its switchable like on the GSi's.
    I believe that you still need to remove the fuse as the traction control is never truely off

SUrprised the operator didn't know that

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redhotpanther View Post
    I believe that you still need to remove the fuse as the traction control is never truely off
    this is my understanding too. Courtenays always removes the fuse before a run.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you get a graph mate?? if the traction control was on, there would be big dips in your power graph when it cuts in and out and if you use two different rolling roads then your results are going to be different.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't have any problems running it at Well Lane switched off, and yeah got a graph, power looks good till he backed off but boost is all over the place.

Would a bosst gauge not show up if its holding boost or not tho??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What does boost gauge read when your at full throttle??? i take it your car is running a standard map, so it should be reading 10(ish) psi.if you have that then its not a leak, i think its normal for the boost to drop off a little when at really high revs(6k +)safety for the engine. you say you replaced a boost solenoid whch one? they have two. when you say the boost is all over the place?? does it drop off then shoot up?

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you post up the graph mate it will allow the Zlet guru's to figure it out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast