Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who leaves their PC's on over night etc?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Who leaves their PC's on over night etc?

Just wondering how many people leave their pcs on over night/all the time or when theyre not at home.

Today, using my works pc(good qual, fairly newish - not been touched etc) suddenly the screen went off, then i could smell burning, then smoke was coming out of the side.

The psu(power supply unit) had set on fire.

Lukily I unplugged it quickly, took it downstairs before any damage was caused, but the psu is nackered lol.

but its made me think, I leave my pc on all the time at home, when im not there.. not any longer.

just a warning to all, doesnt take much for a fire hazard to occur
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just make sure u got enough cooling to cope with the PC specs (+ extra) and keep it clean in side (get an air duster and give it a clean now and agian)

the biggest cause for PC's failing like urs is that they are too dusty inside, causing fans to struggle/not get enough air, or not enought cooling.

but leaving any electrical thing when your not there has risks. some times its just fluke.
    CAR: 2007 Vaxhall Astra TwinTop 1.8 Design
    WWW.DG83.COM

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    PSU's going bang is something I see often in my job but rarely have I seen then catch fire. They are fused and if this fails, I would expect the main power breaker to trip and turn the electricity off before anything had the chance to burn.

I shut my PC down when I go to work but I have 3 servers that are on all the time ( email, file and general server ). I also have master switches so I have turn them off and on remotely ( unless the internet goes down lol ).

PC's are designed to be on all the time and the more you turn them off and on then more likely something is to fail.

What is scary is when a motherboard decides to catch fire. It takes some time for the PSU to realise and trip ( thats if it even does ) and all the plastic bits ( card slots, memory slots and the like ) catch fire very quickly. I have images of an MSI board that caught fire when the MSI reps wer in the office telling us how good their products were.. Will post then when I get off my leave..
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I never leave any of my home computers on.

Always leave my work PC on though overnight, but only because it takes so damn long to log on in the morning. Turn it off over the weekend or on leave though.

Status
    Prince Eikichi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't leave the PC on, uses too much electricity, think about your carbon footprint!!!
    My car pollutes already enough
    Don't blame me if I say stoopid things or don't understand... I'm half French, half Pinoy lol

That's no fun being engaged to a Princess... she’s ALWAYS RIGHT & you're always wrong lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Always turn mine off, whats the point of paying to power if it isnt being used!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Coupé View Post
    Always turn mine off, whats the point of paying to power if it isnt being used!
    im like Sploodge i've got webservers,ftp servers and the like running from the home pc, so it needs to stay on really
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eikichi View Post
    I don't leave the PC on, uses too much electricity, think about your carbon footprint!!!
    My car pollutes already enough
    Sod my Carbon Footprint, i think about my Bank Balance.

PC off if i'm not in.

The only time it's on when i;m out is if i leave it de-fraging/virus scan.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    Mine hasn't been turned off for about six weeks now.
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My main PC is on almost 24/7

I only switch it off when Im away for the weekend (which is quite often these days) or sometimes give it a 'rest' for a night or so.
    If it is left on, I always turn the LCD off at the master switch after the last one blew up! lol

As already said - it supposed to prolong the life of the unit if left on rather than constant on/off switching....well thats how I look at it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast