Thread: Teen Drivers - Drink/Drugs

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Teen Drivers - Drink/Drugs

What do you lot make of the news that one in five young drivers between 17-18 admit to drink driving and one in fourteen admit to using drugs and driving ( Brake/Co-operative Insurance study )?

I know it's a study of a section of drivers ( 3118 ) and not represent all 17-18 y/o but still a worry none the less.

Do you / have you knowingly driven after drinking too much or taking drugs?

Do current advert/poster campaignes make tyou think twice? Shopuld there be more uses of images such as this below to show what happens ( Chris Lee who broke every bone in his head/neck after drinking and driving )?

I think a zero alcohol limit should be introduced and the punishment for drink driving extended to a lifetime ban and a 3 year stay in prison.

The obvious of more roadside breath tests would also deter it IMO. But for that more police would be needed so it does not affect other Policing.

Harder driving test? Mmmm, dont think it would have an effect on its own.

More unmarked police on the roads dedicated to tackling crazy driving would be a good option and maybe using current road cameras to catch people driving like nobs ( something speed cameras cant do )..

Anywayz, your thoughts..
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The thing is with the prison crisis at the moment that option won't be looked at too soon. I think there should be a zero limit for the first two years while you're still on your probationary period, but you can never garauntee you'll have zero alcohol in your blood and it would just be unfair on people who are more than capable of driving to impose it as a permanent law.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i`m doing my driving lessons at the mo and i know i will never drink and drive we have a man who drinks and drives a few doors down my brother caught him at the pub and then as he came driving down our road so he "had a word " as my kids play out the front not on the road

they are making the theory test hard after september theres more questions and more to get right

Mothers with teenagers know why animals eat their young

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I think the majority of people drink drive because when they go on a night out it cheaper for alcohol than it is soft drinks!

I know thats my pet peeve when im the designated driver!

A life time ban is a bit harsh because a few people that get done for drink driving is the day after! It was on a tv program and some guy had 5 pints and when they checked him the next day at 12 noon he was still over the limit (be it only slightly, but still enough for a ban)! But when they tested his driving skills on a simulator there wasnt a difference in his driving level!
    THE STATEMENTS MADE ABOVE ARE MERELY MY OPINION AND SHOULD NOT BE INTERPRETED AS STATEMENTS OF FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was behind a young lad 20ish in a Audi A3 and he was all over the road dunno if he was pissed but i followed him for about a mile and he was halfway over the white line nearly in the other lane stopping at the light when they had turned green slowing down too 15 in a 30 and then speeding up good job it was 11pm at night or there coulda been somone coming the other way or somthin.

I despise drink drivers, my mum has been crashed into 3 times by drunks running red lights and wiping out her car now she cant do her horse riding ect ect coz of her bad back an hip and has really bad arthritis and she's only 38 and lives on pain killers, i think there should be harsher penalties and just pull more people over at random like they do at Christmas.

And yeah the Thoery test changes to 50 question on September 3rd

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Zero tolerance seems a fair enough option to me. Do they have tests for drugs? and if they were testing for drugs I've heard that if you've eaten poppy seeds that can give out a drugs reading......although I have a feeling you'd have to eat a substansial amount.

Ah well its easy for me to say as I don't really drink anyway so at the time a zero tolerance law would not have bothered me.

America have a zero toelerance on alcohol and driving don't they, and isn't that is regardless of age???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I still know a lot of people that do drink and drive, sometimes not much, but anything is still too much in some cases :s

Dont know any one personally that does drugs and drives, but I know of the local people who will..

Ive only ever driven when Ive had 1 pint, and thats usually atleast an hour before I drive.. or years and years ago I drove to work(literally 1min away) after going out on the beer the night before.

It wasnt before one of my parents said to me, i'd still be over the limit it made me realise, to be honest i didnt even think about it like that, so I dont do that anymore either..

They do need to do something to stop it though, god knows how they can inforce it, i'd say the drink drivers are the worst.. but unless you put a policeman at every pub testing everyone, you're not going to stop it, even then people can still get drunk at home..

they need a device that makes your car unstartable unless you blow unalcoholic breath into it, but even then there are ways around it :s
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The human body has traces of alcohol in it all the time but its tiny.. Last time I was stopped for routine drink drive thingy the little digital breathalizer registered 0 ( zero ) so I assume they are calibrated to compensate.

A total ban might be harsh for those caught the day after but still, home breath tests kits are available now and the company I work for uses them randomly. They are not expensive and could easily be sold in pubs clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalWithCheez View Post
    but you can never garauntee you'll have zero alcohol in your blood and it would just be unfair on people who are more than capable of driving to impose it as a permanent law.
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As above I dont think zero tolerance would work due to traces of alcohol in cough medicine and even in some cooking such as bolognese.

However, I think, if caught, you should face at least a ten year ban. Thats if you havent already killed anyone whilst driving under the influence.

I've never driven under the influence and I think amongst people my age (27) its regarded as socially unacceptable. I was therefore disappointed to read the above statistic :-/
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Zero tolerance is the way foward.

I have had mates caught and banned for drink and drug driving. Scary thing is I need both hands to count them all!

Personally I wouldnt knowingly do it. Been breathalised once or twice after 1 beer and the arse muscles cant be doing with it. easiest way to stop that was not to drink.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast