Thread: Stig lap times

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Stig lap times

Was browsing through stigs laptimes and am interested to know how accurate/consistant he is; what got me is that a Golf R32 was quicker around the track than a vx220 turbo, surely the vx220 has got to be faster around as its made for the track?? and is bloody quick aswell! Along the same lines he also got a vectra vxr faster around the track than a lotus elise, is it me just over estimating the elise/vx220??

Also he got a bmw 535d quicker around the track than an M3. I know the 535d is fast, albeit there aint a lot in it, but quicker around the track then an M3??

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/
    Former GSi owner, now own a plastic car with a vectra engine......

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting, but they don't state which were wet laps.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I dunno, but i would have thought the elise would have been quicker than the Veccy as the VX220 with the R32.

but saying that i remember watching once wot was ment to be the quickest lap of the star in the Reasonably Priced Car! And the car changed 3 times in the Lap! It had shite all up the sides when it started then half way round it was clean. then around the follow through and last corner it was filthy again! so it could be fixed!
    THE STATEMENTS MADE ABOVE ARE MERELY MY OPINION AND SHOULD NOT BE INTERPRETED AS STATEMENTS OF FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    maybe its in the cornering :?
    1.8 16V Astra Sport

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalWithCheez View Post
    Interesting, but they don't state which were wet laps.

bingo, thats exactly it, i doubt a monaro will be faster than an nsx in the dry
    www.aquariumlifesystems.co.uk
    For all your aquatic needs happy to help all members out with any fish related problems!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_coupe View Post
    I dunno, but i would have thought the elise would have been quicker than the Veccy as the VX220 with the R32.

but saying that i remember watching once wot was ment to be the quickest lap of the star in the Reasonably Priced Car! And the car changed 3 times in the Lap! It had shite all up the sides when it started then half way round it was clean. then around the follow through and last corner it was filthy again! so it could be fixed!
    I noticed that too but i don’t think its fixed !! Think it might just be the editing !

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's only for a fun point of reference. There's far too many variables for it always to be a fair test, air temp, track temp, wet/dry, tyres..........

Also just because a car was designed for a specific circuit doesn't mean it will be the fastest car around that circuit.

Golf R32 vs. VX220T
    The gold has 4wd for starters, so will be good in the corners, a bigger engine for the straights.

Elises aren't all that fast, they handle well, but they're still only a 1.8 engine! I chased one up a hill in my old 1.8 sport and although I couldn't catch him, he didn't exactly pull away like a train.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    [quote=Jace;1115439]

Golf R32 vs. VX220T
    The gold has 4wd for starters, so will be good in the corners, a bigger engine for the straights.

quote]

I still dont think, 4wd or not, that the golf will corner better than the vx220?? Vx220 has the centre of gravity of an earthworm, and engine size isnt the issue, surely its the power to weight ratio? vx220turbo wud still be quicker in straight line than an r32??

True about the track variables / tyres etc

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post

Elises aren't all that fast, they handle well, but they're still only a 1.8 engine! I chased one up a hill in my old 1.8 sport and although I couldn't catch him, he didn't exactly pull away like a train.
    Very true, when i was at the 'ring last month i had an elise behind me and i was pulling on him out of the corners and on the straights in my GSi

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Golf still has a very good chassis, even the GTi handles like it's on rails, so the R32 I'm sure is far better still. The VX220 is good don't get me wrong, I just don't personally reckon it'd be quicker than the R32.

Straight line I think the Golf would win every time, maybe someone who knows a bit more can shed some light?
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast