Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

18" newbie!

Hi all,

I've checked the first few pages and had a search but can't find my exact answer so here goes;

I've got a 3 door Astra G (2002) 1.6 16v, star silver and it's come to that point where I want to buy some wheels.

I'm looking at 18" wheels, but I do not have the slightest clue about what I will need to do in order to fit them. For example, will I need to;

Lower the car?
    Modify the arches?
    What offset and tire sizes can the car handle?
    Will the bigger wheels make an effect on my speedo?
    Will they rub without being lowered, I presume depending on the tire size?

That's all I can think of, other than what wheels would get the best votes...

1)

4x 18 inch Hustle Black Polished Alloy Wheels 225/40/18 tyres. (Would they fit?)

2)

"4 * Brand New 7x18" BSA 367 Bullet Alloy Wheels. Fitted with Brand New Premium Performance 215/35/18 or 225/40/18 Tyres. Price includes nuts or bolts. Fitments available 4x100 et40, 4x108 et40." (how about these for fitment/style?)

3)

4 * Brand New 7.5x18" Lenso Elegance Alloy Wheels. Fitted with Brand New Premium Performance 215/35/18 or 225/40/18 Tyres. Fitments available 4x100 et40, 4x108 et40, 4x114 et40, 4x98 et40, 5x100 et40, 5x108 et40, 5x110 et40, 5x112 et40, 5x114 et40, 5x120 et40, 5x98 et40. Price includes nuts or bolts. (my favourite, but will they suit my silver Astra? Will they fit also?)

Any comments more than welcome, hopefully some of you guys can help me out!

Status
    Top Gear Guy
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Kei Force 10s i am selling will go on your astra, they have 215/35/18 tyres fitted which fit perfectly without rubbing etc, others who lower the car with the same setup also say it doesnt rub, but i wouldnt know that personally.
    Now an Audi A3 Driver!
    Quote Originally Posted by ledster
    some say he should have driven faster,some say he has the memory of a gold fish,all we know is he was 10 minutes late...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First off Im guessing you have 4 stud hubs

In that case the stud pattern needs to be 4x100mm PCD (Pitch circle diamater - basically the distance between the bolt holes)
    As you're lookin at 18s then its advisable to stick to either 7" or 7.5" wide rims...this means you have more choice on the offset. Stick to between 38mm & 49mm...and you should be able to lower anything upto 60mm if u so wish.... The offset is sometimes referred to as ET

Tyre choice: Personally I say stick to 215/35/18 - this is the tried n tested size for the mk4. 225/40/18 is best on the Mk5 although some mk4 owners run this size - but it can more often than not foul the arches.

No arch work will be required as long as u stick to the info above....

So to re-cap:

Stud Diamater: 4 x 100mm PCD
    Rim width: 7" or 7.5" (Personally I say 7.5")
    Offset(ET): 38-49mm

Centre Bore: Basically the big hole in the centre of the rim - this needs to match the outside diamater of the hubs - in your case it'll be 56.6mm (5 stud models use 65.1mm) - if u were looking at original Vauxhall rims then this wouldnt be a problem as theyd fit straight on.... Aftermarket rims use a generally higher size hole - maybe approx 70-80mm.... in this case u will need reducing spacer rings (Spigot rings) to reduce this hole down to 56.6mm so the wheel will fit snugly onto the hub.

If u buy ur wheels from an approved seller such as Rochford etc then you will get the spigots as part of the fitting kit (usually together with lengthened wheel bolts)

HTH

PS: If u do go for 18s then FFS u must lower the car!!! It'll just look like a John Deere special if u dont! Happy modding

Both numbers 2 and 3 look good providing u choose the 4x100 ET40 one - personally id go for the 3rd as its 7.5" wide. Some come in multi-drilled fitment (ie 8 holes with 4x100 and 4x108 for instance [100 being Vx fitment & 108 being Ford])

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    First off Im guessing you have 4 stud hubs

In that case the stud pattern needs to be 4x100mm PCD (Pitch circle diamater - basically the distance between the bolt holes)
    As you're lookin at 18s then its advisable to stick to either 7" or 7.5" wide rims...this means you have more choice on the offset. Stick to between 38mm & 49mm...and you should be able to lower anything upto 60mm if u so wish.... The offset is sometimes referred to as ET

Tyre choice: Personally I say stick to 215/35/18 - this is the tried n tested size for the mk4. 225/40/18 is best on the Mk5 although some mk4 owners run this size - but it can more often than not foul the arches.

No arch work will be required as long as u stick to the info above....

So to re-cap:

Stud Diamater: 4 x 100mm PCD
    Rim width: 7" or 7.5" (Personally I say 7.5")
    Offset(ET): 38-49mm

Centre Bore: Basically the big hole in the centre of the rim - this needs to match the outside diamater of the hubs - in your case it'll be 56.6mm (5 stud models use 65.1mm) - if u were looking at original Vauxhall rims then this wouldnt be a problem as theyd fit straight on.... Aftermarket rims use a generally higher size hole - maybe approx 70-80mm.... in this case u will need reducing spacer rings (Spigot rings) to reduce this hole down to 56.6mm so the wheel will fit snugly onto the hub.

If u buy ur wheels from an approved seller such as Rochford etc then you will get the spigots as part of the fitting kit (usually together with lengthened wheel bolts)

HTH

PS: If u do go for 18s then FFS u must lower the car!!! It'll just look like a John Deere special if u dont! Happy modding

Both numbers 2 and 3 look good providing u choose the 4x100 ET40 one - personally id go for the 3rd as its 7.5" wide. Some come in multi-drilled fitment (ie 8 holes with 4x100 and 4x108 for instance [100 being Vx fitment & 108 being Ford])
    This right here is exactly the information I needed, you sir are a legend.

You're correct in saying I have 4 studded wheels.

So I am going to go for the 3rd set of wheels that I posted, they will be 18", how much would you say I should lower the car, can I see a comparison picture anywhere?

How much will the lowering springs and other parts cost me (roughly) and can I fit all of the stuff myself/ with a few mechanical friends?

Thanks for the info!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how low u wana go is up to how practical u wana be and how much cash uve got, if u have a sport/sxi then it will already be 20mm ish (which u can get away with although doesnt look gr

Remember if u want to go any lower than 40mm u will need to uprate the dampers some time aswell. springs cost around the 100 mark and bilstein dampers cost another 150 with postage. or u could go for adjustable coilovers from about 320 (but ppl have problems with these seesing up)

Another thing with the 1.6 is the height at the front-Ive got the 50/40 kit to take care of that

If u feel compitant of changing bits on ur car, bye a haynes manual and some tools instead of paying a mechanic.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    how low u wana go is up to how practical u wana be and how much cash uve got, if u have a sport/sxi then it will already be 20mm ish (which u can get away with although doesnt look gr
    I didn't think I could get away without lowering with 18" and have it look 'okish'? Do you know of a pic of such anywhere as I'd love to be able to drive around on normal shocks and springs for a while to wait for more funds and not look like a total plank!

Cheers

Status
    Top Gear Guy
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nobody with 18s looks a plank IMO, yes lowering with them will look better but a plank i dont think so...
    Now an Audi A3 Driver!
    some say he should have driven faster,some say he has the memory of a gold fish,all we know is he was 10 minutes late...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes mate heres mine...

[newline]Click here for more images from this garage[/newline]

It does need lowering (and ive had the springs for 6months now lol) but I had 17's on it for the past 3yrs and have got the 18's now and I think it looks acceptable.

Status
    Top Gear Guy
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    check your PM petey
    Now an Audi A3 Driver!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Yes mate heres mine...

[newline]Click here for more images from this garage[/newline]

It does need lowering (and ive had the springs for 6months now lol) but I had 17's on it for the past 3yrs and have got the 18's now and I think it looks acceptable.
    Mate that looks sweet as, I'm deffo going for the 18"s now and if the need be I will lower it when I get the cash!

Before I click buy, do you have ANY rubbing problems at all, and if I buy number 3 on my list;

4 * Brand New 7.5x18" Lenso Elegance Alloy Wheels. Fitted with Brand New Premium Performance 215/35/18 or 225/40/18 Tyres. Fitments available 4x100 et40

I presume I go with the 225/40/18 tyres?

It also asks me my current tyre size, I've got the standard 16" SXI wheels, any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast