Thread: Am I being ripped off by Vauxhall?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Am I being ripped off by Vauxhall?

Car went in for its 4th annual service a couple of weeks ago.

When handing over the keys, I told them about the engine management light being on (the one that has something to do with the exhaust. forgive my ignorance - know nothing about the technicalities). The car is quite stubborn when turning the ignition and I need to give it some gas.

"We'll have a look" says the guy on the service desk.

I pick up the car later, and the guy says the light is now off "it was low on oil" says he (or something like that). "If it gives you any more trouble, bring it back in and we'll take a look at it for you".

So I pay my money, notice the management light is off and go about my daily business. When I'm driving later that nighthowever, the light is back on. I test the ignition and the stubbornness is still a problem.

Booked it back in for today, only to be told that there's a £70+ diagnostics charge.

WTF??? Am I clutching at straws believing that this should have been covered in the service? I'm guessing it'll be £70+ to diagnose the problem and a shit load more to fix it.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    tech2 isn't generally included in a service AFAIK. Never taken mine to be serviced at a stealers as its cheaper to do it yourself. £70 seems steep though, my local VX stealer charges £40-£50 IIRC. I have only had it done once and that was mates rates by a techie there so I don't know what joe public would pay

When you say stubborness to start, what do you mean exactly? could be any one (or more) of a few things..!
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My local dealer charges £70 + VAT for the car to be plugged into Tech2... however i have a local autoelectrician who bought a Tech2 and only charges £40 and he prob knows more than the guys at vauxhall!
    But pete is right.. it doesnt come as part of a standard service at vauxhall
    No longer a Astra Owner
    Now Drives -2006 Skoda Octavia vRs in Race Blue