Thread: New member joining soon I reckon

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New member joining soon I reckon

My sons best mate has just passed his test. After seeing my progress with my Astra for the past few years he decided he wanted to have an Astra as his first car. As money was tight he was limited to which version he could afford and ended up buying a 1.6 8v 5 door in red. Club model I think.

He came round tonight to show me as he has a problem, his speedo was 8mph slow. He was stopped by the police for doing 22mph and told them his speedo showed 30mph. Well I decided to take a look. The last owner has been mucking, screws were missing, captive plastic screw threads were missing. Lots was wrong, I started off doing the clocks and ended up with the entire dash in bits. No light were showing on his dash except 1 in the MFD, no others except the speedo were working at all including the light switch, rear fogs didn't work, key fob wouldn't unlock/lock the car but the central locking worked off the keyhole, the ashtray was bust and kept dropping open, the drivers little hideyhole covering the fusebox is missing, the glovebox straps are broke, cigar lighter didn't work

Well the MFD now has LEDs in it and looks very good for 2 plug and play ones, he's well pleased about that look.
    The speedo had been dismantled and the needles fitted incorrectly, removed and zeroed them, should be fine now but needs checking with a GPS unit to be sure.
    Fixed the light switch by swapping it with a spare I have.
    Fixed the ashtray, although parts are broken I have stopped it dropping open all the time. Replaced the fuse for the cigar light as well.
    Fixed the rear fogs, fuse was missing altogether
    Tried syncing the key but no joy, ended up dismantling the key as the light worked when pressed but still nothing. Cleaned the contacts and bent the postive terminal upwards and it started to sync, now it works fine.
    Just the glovebox to fix and try and find my spare hideyhole cover.

He'll be joining shortly, after that he can damn well do his own repairs
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sure that he will get a big welcome Ken.

Wish I had the kind of resources AOC (and it's members) offers when I got my first car.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It kind of makes you wonder what help the lad got choosing his first car?

It's always nice to be able to help some one out though.

1st rule of car modding.......make sure what you have got as standard is working!
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice to here that you managed to fix it all.
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
    I'm sure that he will get a big welcome Ken.

Wish I had the kind of resources AOC (and it's members) offers when I got my first car.

100% agreed!
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    He'll be joining shortly, after that he can damn well do his own repairs
    you make it sound like you've bullied him into it

good to hear you got most of it sorted for him
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    nice one ken get a few pics up soon

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    LOL@Danny. The car was owned by an Asian gentlemen who seems to have neglected it severely. He's managed to break loads of stuff trying to fix things, which isn't great but was reflected in the price. However it's a S reg red car and has faded badly, I've offered to use my Porter cable to polish it to a Ferrari red but that will take all day. Lots of oxidisation I'm afraid.

I didn't even know he was buying it or I may have steered him away from it, although its not too bad the neglect in the interior is almost certainly reflected in the engine. I've told him to delock the drivers door as someone has screwdrivered the lock, he can do that now his keyfob works. Also a major priority must be a cambelt change and water pump replacement, he has little service history with the car so has no idea if the belt has been changed.

Lots of work but GeordieBandit kindly offered a 130 speedo with rev counter FOC which will come in very useful for him as he just has the single clock. I've promised to LED convert it for him, which should start the modding process
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ken, the clocks are uncalibrated and the mileage reads about 1100 but have in fact only done about 400 if that makes sense. Vx will be able to recalibrate them (or u could probs do em yourself no doubt) but the mileage can only be done by the usual back street places...or the EPROM mod we read about recently

I was gonna show Chris my 8v to show what can be done but was a little distracted with what I was actually down there for. (Just to let u know its perfect - for everyone else....im not telling)

I'll be back down Hyde soon anyway for another deal so might get a chance to see ur motor next time

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ken, you don't fancy a move down south so I can befriend your son and get some free LED conversions do ya
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast