Thread: Any help please with my speedo

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any help please with my speedo

Hi everyone was just wondering if I could ask for your advice?

My car's speedo has started to do some weird things and Im not totally sure what to do about it. It was fine since I've had the car which has been nearly a year now but just recently the speedo has started to wild'ly over read. Ill be doing 3,500rpm down the motorway and the speedo will have gone over 140mph and be pointing straight down, almost going all the way round. When I stop the speedo will still be reading 70mph and then when I turn it off the needle shakes as it falls back down to zero when the power is removed. It not like it doesnt work, it goes up as normal when you pull off but any increase in speed sends it even more skyward.

My car is a 99 1.6 8v Mk4 any help would be really really appreciated!

Ant

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    it could be the connection thats come loose a bit on the back of the speedo, for this you will need to take the cowling off from around the speedo, theres normally 4 hex screws you need to remove, then theres 2 more holding the speedo in, after that theres a white leaver on the top, pick it up and slide it across, the speedo will come out now, basically refit it by pushing it back in and sliding the leaver back across, failing that it could be a faulty clocks or hub speed sensor? try the cheapest option first!
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi windrew thanks for your reply I had treid the connections at the back before but too no success. So I went down the scrapy and got one with 17,000 on it considering myn had 64,000 and it works spot on!

Thanks for your help again,

Anyone know if you can get the milage steped up on the milage indicator?

Ant

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it can be done but its expensive and not woth it you need to edit the eprom 9c36 chip,

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do ya know how exspensive? Only Im at a bit of a loss of what to do because my old speedo has a mind of its own and would fail the mot. Its not till next year but there is going to come a time where Im gona have to do something about it

Ant

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you do a google search for mileage correction services you should find some one local. It ranges from around £50 upward. (Thats in Berkshire area). Hope this helps

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    to save money if you know someone that is good at soldering get them to take the eprom from your old clock and fit in the new set then it you will have the correct mileage back in the new dials.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Brill thanks guys

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robwillis69 View Post
    to save money if you know someone that is good at soldering get them to take the eprom from your old clock and fit in the new set then it you will have the correct mileage back in the new dials.
    Where is the EPROM Rob? I may experiment on a spare set to see how hard it is to remove.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its the 8 pin eprom on the board in the centre its only small 9c46 or 9c36 will be on it i done quite a few so if you dump one i can help you edit the eprom as it all in hex it will need to be recalculated,

you have to take the clocks in half remove the needles make sure you put them back exactly as they come off otherwise the guages will be out, if you can't see it take a pic of the pcb and i'll edit it put a circle around it and post the pic back to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast