Thread: Presentations at Work..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Presentations at Work..

Ok, its that thing I hate, Presentations!!

Got to do one on monday on our current IT systems (problems), Open Source, Examples of Open Source, and Benifits of moving to our new systems basically.

Ive made the slides/notes, so now its down to revising what i'm going to say.

Its to the people I work with, about 20 people, I get on with them all so thats a good thing, but still ultra nervous.

Any tips?

been told not to learn it word for word because on the day you never remember it, so im hoping go over each section as much as possible so I know what Im talking about.

The other point ive been told is, its OK to look at your notes/paper infront of you, and is a lot better than reading off the slides. IE slides will contain bullet points, I will then talk around them.

Any comments/help/Advice?

Cheers
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1) practice presenting it to a empty room.
    2) when you do it for real imagen your presenting to a empty room.

as for the doing of the actual presentation welcome everyone for coming, have a few moments of introduction if you have higher managment who may not know everyone in the room.

Ask for questions at the end of each slide so you dont get bombed at the end but anything thats answered further on nicly advised its covered further in.

and good luck

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My piece of advice, remember to breathe. Sounds silly but when you panic you forget to breathe properly and it makes the situation worse. Deap breaths.

If possible, try not to make it too formal - speak clearly, and not too fast.

Definitely don't try to remember your slides word for word, the second you start you are guaranteed to forget/go blank. I tend to just write down bullett points with the main topics I want to cover and go from there.

Good luck.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't have too many notes - just stick to the salient points you want to get across. If you know what your one about, then too many notes will confuse you

Set up the laptop running the presentation infront of you, so you can face the audience, and keep an eye on the pres.

Imagine them all wearing pink ballet tu-tu's. No man in a pink tut-tu can be a threat to you or harm you!!!

Make eye contact with everyone in the room but never for more than a few secs at a time. They will look away when you do

Don't rush it - take your time and pace it nicely.

If you have a time limit, stick your watch on the desk and keep an eye on it.

Have a glass of water handy, for when your throat dries up (also gives you a quick breather)

Remember to breathe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for that advice so far making me feel a little less nervous already lol
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh... and do the usual format

• welcome
    • introduction - state briefly the main theme of the pres (ie what you are going to tell them). Also mention how you want to deal with question, ie during or afterwards
    • present - tell them what you want to tell them
    • conclusion - recap on what you've told them,
    • thanks
    • and question time

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    picked up on the question thing, but did forget the conclusion so cheers geoff!

for the intro, do you think its a good idea to outline each section im going to talk about? to give them an insight into it/so they know whats coming?

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just keep it briefish, as you'll be fleshing out all that in the main pres

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    Just keep it briefish, as you'll be fleshing out all that in the main pres
    ie, im going to talk about ..., ... and ... to give the reasons why we are migrating...? and then go onto the sections?

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Got to do one on monday on our current IT systems (problems), Open Source, Examples of Open Source, and Benifits of moving to our new systems basically.
    Pretty much just expand on that slightly

So without knowing the full details of you actual content, something like...

"good morning, for those that don't know me my name is XXX (include your job title/whatever if you think it's needed), and I'd like to spend the next few minutes explaining what open source is/does, detail a few examples of OS, and hopefully demonstrate the benefit of moving our system from the present xxx to xxx. if you have any questions............."

.......then off you go with the main guts

That sort of thing - like I said I'm just guessing what the pres is about and you need to adapt this in your own spoken english and not mine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast