Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra Coupe Turbo - Z20LET

Hi,

I've recently bought a 51 plate Astra Coupe Turbo with a Z20LET. I'm loving it so far but have noticed a minor problem I'm hoping someone can help with.

Sometimes when I accelerate hard it will pull smoothly and hard all the way through the rev range, but other occasions it seems very very sluggish through all or part of the rev range, as if the turbo isn't kicking in.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Craig

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    sounds like it could be a boost control valve fault!

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, is there an easy way of confirming it's the Boost Control Valve / Solenoid at fault or is it more a case of replace and hope for the best?

Also I understand there are two of them, is it a good idea to get both replaced?

Cheers
    Craig

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good idea to replace both but get two of the same with the smaller pipes on as it makes swapping them so much easier!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone know how much Vauxhall would charge to replace both of the Boost Control Valves / Solenoids?

I was planning to book it in for a service next month so it's the ideal opportunity to get it done as I don't feel comfortable enough doing it myself.

Also is there any danger in having a faulty Boost Control Valve for a few weeks?

Cheers
    Craig

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    They charged £150 to change one when I had it done on warranty

They only cost around £16 each so much cheaper to do it yourself, its not a big job, otherwise bend over and let Vauxhall take you for a ride

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are there any details or How To guides as to how to change both of the BCS / BCV?

As I understand it there's one on the turbo and one on the engine?

I've got the part numbers from the Turbocharging thread.

55352099 for the older LET version - this was then superceeded by....

55557806 (front) for LEL,LER and LEH - the later version is compatible with the LET without any need for mapping.
    55557829 (rear)

Are there any benefits or disadvantages in going for the LEH front BCS instead of the older LET version?

Although there is no need for remapping would the LEH BCS need any adjusting before putting on the car or is it a straight swapover?

Cheers
    Craig

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    straight swap, the leh one is just an upgraded version of the let on. dead easy to do, just two torx screws on each hold them down and three pipes to remove and then refit once new one is on. they retail at 20 pound each but make sure you get the ones with the smaller pipes as i said earlier. hope this has helped mate!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    so which out of the part numbers above would have the smaller pipes? Mines doing something similar, but only once in a while, id like to try some new ones and see if its better.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info, as per the previous post do the part numbers I've included in this thread have the smaller pipes or do you need to specifically ask for them?

I guess the solenoid on the Turbo will be fairly easy to change, whereas the one on the back of the block will be an *rse as it's difficult to get to?

Hopefully it is the Boost Valve / Solenoid at fault otherwise it's back to the drawing board!

Sounds like it is though as sometimes it will be fine and others it feels like its not boosting.

Cheers
    Craig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast