Thread: astra indicator problem....and more!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra indicator problem....and more!

Hi all!

Sorry for my first post to be a question but I have had nothing but problems with this astra! I have had many a nova in my past and decided to go for a r plate (9 Mk4 Astra 1.6 8vas a family car as it only had 59000 on the clock and full service history. I wish I never had!

Right, Problem 1 -

When I lock the car sometimes the hazard lights come on, not flashing just permanently on. The only way to turn them off is to put the key in the ignition. When the car is going there is no problem, the only way to stop this problem is to take the fuse out to break the circuit. The hazards switch and relays are fine. Then all of a sudden it will be fine for a while and then it happens..... could be weeks, months days etc... FLAT BATTERY AHOY!

Video here! - http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ov00001xx7.flv

Problem 2 -

This is my main problem . On the motorway doing say, 70mph for about 2 hours and suddenly the car engine management light flashed on for 1/2 second and at the same time it felt like the engine cut out. It was like I hit a brick wall, it did this about 10 times so I decided to pull over. Gave her a rest had a look in the manual - no mention, so I set off. This happened again and again so I slowed down to 45mph and the problem happened about every 10 minutes, but we got to wales ok! Took her to the vauxhall garage, tech 2 test showed nothing, replaced the spark plugs as they were a bit rubbish and took her out for a drive, it happened to the bloke as he was in 4th easing off the throttle, he said it was a dodgy egr valve so he disabled it and hey presto it was fine...... Until I went to go home when it started happening again. Took her to the local vauxhall garage, another tech 2 test - no codes - replacement egr valve. All seemed fine......... Went to France and the same thing started happening (130 kmh in France) though only at that speed, when I slowed to 70 it stopped.

At no time was the temperature high and oil and water are always fine. Its had a replacement ecu fitted before I got the car as I have been reading through the astra sticky and have looked myself.

- update -

I have done the paperclip trick and well...... first of all I had 51 flashes (very fast) then what looked like the following (much slower) - 7,1,6,2,5,1,3,5,4,1,1,1,2,1,4,1,3,4,1,3,4,2.

Great.

So I done it again after 5 minutes and the 51 to start with was still there but then it slowed down again and produced this (i think) -

Then I got bored and got a metaphorical sledge hammer out and started to kill my car.

So the codes that this thing was spitting out were gobeldegook! I even tried to see if I could re-arange the numbers but NO!

Am I doing this wrong or does ecu stand for electronic crap unit?

I'm at the end of my tether with this car and have no confidence in it. I have 2 kids and its just not safe for me to use as a family car. Any help would be great.

Sorry for all the questions but this car is really getting me down.

Nafe

Ps its a 16 pin one - simtec 56.5 ecotec. 1.6 8v 98 r plate astra mk4

Ta

Nathan

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mate you have one poorly astra, i have never ever heard of anything like you are describing, i thinkg maybe the ecu is duff?? its the only thing that i could imagine producing such severe problems! i remember vx indicators stay on when the battery is duff, i'd try that first mate
    Fitted options: Folding mirrors, cruise control, dual tone horn, remap.
    Next: Bluetooth

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Man I hope not.

Early astras (like mine) had a few ecu and egr problems. The egr has been replaced and the ecu was reconditiond from vauxhall as there was a recall of sorts. This has been addressed with the newer mk4's as it has been moved from its original position!

I used to love my nova sr(back in the day), never went wrong and i bought it with 140k on the clock. This is just the total opposite!

Ta for the words tho!

Nafe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    tbh astras are very reliable and safe cars, 5 stars i think in the n-cap tests, the electric however can be a little suspect, the problems you are having are really severe which suggests to me that its a severe problem, not an egr valve or a afm or a throttle position sensor etc, check the battery, check the earth lead is contacting the body and the engine and is not corroded. as far as i know the indicators and the engine are not connected in any way, which suggests to me a common problem such as a bad earth bad battery etc.
    Fitted options: Folding mirrors, cruise control, dual tone horn, remap.
    Next: Bluetooth

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know how you feel Nafe - I have been having a few irritating problems with mine recently. After 2 years of trouble free motoring all the problems come along at once! So far it has had - new oil filter housing, new EGR valve and new AFM. Now it also needs new clutch, alternator, manifold and PS pump. It's like over a grand of stuff. And I don't even have a job ATM (student...)

With regards to your problem, I have never heard of it before. It sounds like a sensor though - as it is happening after continual load. Does that make sense? My car was stuttering when warm, doing really strange things and making weird noises, EML on every now and then. The TECH2 showed no problems other than the AFM wich was changed. Turned out to be a dodgy EGR valve.

Why not try to get another ECU? The 1.6 8v's are the only MK4's the scrappies ever have in when I call around.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like irritating problems to say the least mate,

is it the Z16SE or Z16SZR engine???? probably the latter

you could try and get another ECU and get vxl to update it with the latest software,

regarding the indicator problem, check the battery, and the earth link, i hope you get it sorted mate
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its the szr but thought that you could not just replace the ecu with another as it has the immobolizer in it?

I had an ecu upgrad with the latest firmware before the egr valve was replaced and it sorted the kangarooing but not the above problems.

Man this sux!