Thread: astra cutting out

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra cutting out

hi people, newcomer to this site. having problems with my 00 w reg astra 1.8 sri, its fine when cold but when warms up it stalls as i change down coming up to junctions roundabouts etc. any ideas??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome aboard!

Could be one of a few things but my initial suspicion would be the CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) basically when this goes tits up it tells the ECU its cold and therefore needs to supply more juice....in doin so it floods and stalls.

Other common faults would be the EGR Valve - if you have the early X18XE1 engine then youll have one of these - if u have the later Z18XE then its built into the throttle body. **Seeing as 00 is the changeover year then if u have the cat on the exhaust manifold then its the Z18XE or if its underslung on the front pipe underneath the car then its the early X18XE1**

Therefore you wanna be giving the throttle body & EGR (if fitted) a good going over with carb cleaner (£4 a can from local motor factors) - check the HOW TO section on the main page for details on how to find the EGR etc....

If this dont resolve the issue then Id be fairly sure its the CTS (tbh Id say it was this anyway) these are approx £10 from Vauxhall.

Even if it is the CTS - its a bloody good idea to clean the TB/EGR anyway as it easily gets gunked up with carbon deposits over time.

HTH

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    Sounds like the ICV (Idle Control Valve). If not that then give your EGR Valve a good clean out with carb cleaner.
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    Sounds like the ICV (Idle Control Valve). If not that then give your EGR Valve a good clean out with carb cleaner.
    Wont be the ICV as the X18XE1 doesnt have one (its the odd one out in the X series, and if its the latter Z18XE then it wouldnt have an ICV anyway

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    my money would be on carbon build up on the throttle body £4 for some carb cleaner to clean that out mate no probs at all
    my 1,8 need a clean every few k takes 2 mins to do

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    Wont be the ICV as the X18XE1 doesnt have one (its the odd one out in the X series, and if its the latter Z18XE then it wouldnt have an ICV anyway
    Ahh so solly, I bow to your technical expertise Geordiebanditsan.
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Fellas, I Fitted A New Coolant Temp Sensor Today And Cleaned Throttle Body And Egr Valve, Its Like Driving A Different Motor.