Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

16's or 17s????

i will be getting coloivers so that isnt a problem,

unfortunetly my astra is 4 stud which is a pain in the hoop as all the nice gm standard wheels are in 5 stud

but my question is do i go for 16 inch wheels or go with my oringinal plan of 17s, only thing that is putting me off 16s is i dont want the wheels to look to small for the car but same theory applies for the 17s i do not want to car to look like its on stilts even with the coilovers

so whats your opinion,

16s on its arse or 17s on its arse??

please provide pics of both 16s and 17s on astras
    For all your bodywork in the north west,

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I would say 17's, or even 18's.

I'm planning on getting 18's for my coupe, car won't be any higher off the ground then it is at the moment with 17's as the overall size of the wheel+tyre is the same.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    FFS dont go for 16s - waste of time and just look daft......that is unless u want standard Vx rims and currently have steelies....but then again if this was what u wanted .... Id be surprised youd be gettin coilovers.

As already said - ur choice really should be 17s or 18s

I say 18s with 215/35/18 rubber - but maybe 17s with 215/40/17 or 215/45/17 would be the sensible choice if u prefer a slightly less harsh ride.

Get the offset right (ie 38-49mm) on a 7" or 7.5" wide rim (preferrably 7.5") and you can drop it upto 60mm all round on coilys.... this is for both 17 & 18" rims.

HTH

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll make the assumption it's a mk4 astra, in which case 17s look just right in the arches imo and offer the best blend of looks and drivability. Cheap tyres too.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have picked the wheel i want for 17s i wont be goin for 18s as there getting put on my astra mk4 1.7dti which i currently use for work meaning i tot up 1500-2000 miles a month so tyre prices for the 18s wudnt be worth the extra inch

i just simply wondered what 16s looked like and wanted other peoples opinions, iv alwasy been a corsa lad and know them inside out but astras are all new to me so, just asking

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    tyres arent that pricey for 18s if u know where to look.

Ive just paid £72.50 for Avon ZZ3s in 215/35/18 - a saving of almost £50 from some retailers....

Just a thought for u and seeing as u dont buy tyres that often maybe its worth considering.

If u want the best of both worlds then 17s are the sensible choice....Seeing as your going for coilovers then stick with 215/40/17 rubber and the offsets mentioned above and youll be fine.

The only 16s Id ever fit on the Astra would be Alesio 2's as they arent available any bigger but it'd have to be slammed on its arse to carry it off. (something ive not entirely ruled out)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    tyres arent that pricey for 18s if u know where to look.

Ive just paid £72.50 for Avon ZZ3s in 215/35/18 - a saving of almost £50 from some retailers....

Just a thought for u and seeing as u dont buy tyres that often maybe its worth considering.

If u want the best of both worlds then 17s are the sensible choice....Seeing as your going for coilovers then stick with 215/40/17 rubber and the offsets mentioned above and youll be fine.

The only 16s Id ever fit on the Astra would be Alesio 2's as they arent available any bigger but it'd have to be slammed on its arse to carry it off. (something ive not entirely ruled out)
    speedlines were and option but i was unsure if it would work tbh,

i think 17s it is just gotta save up abit really as im going for raceline, 5 spoke in graphite with the coilovers

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get 18" or you will regret it later, I tried 17"s on my MK4 and they dont fill the wheel arches like the 18"s.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    17s will fill the arches perfectly providing u get the correct offset.

Although Im a big fan of 18s I appreciate not everyone else is and some like a little more comfort therefore the 17s are a sensible choice.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got 16's on my car at the moment and the do look too small. That's why i get my new wheels in 6 days
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring