Thread: Engine management light

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry Engine management light

Hey. I've had my 1998, S reg, 1.6 8v astra club for a year now, and ever since I've had it I've had a problem with the Engine Management light. It comes on whenever I'm on the motorway. Its fine when i'm doing 60-70mph, but as soon as ihit 75-80, the light comes on for around a minute, then goes off again. This happens constantly, and never used to bother me, but its really doing my nut in now.
    I've had it on the diagnostic machine and it cant find any faults! Help!
    Also, my Airbag/Pre-tensioner light is constantly lit up now. Came on a few weeks ago and won't go off. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Had to pay 40 quid to get it fixed last time, when "the sensor had been knocked". any ideas?
    Thanx.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my emissions light came on the other day then started flashing once i hit 40 took it vx needed a new coil rack.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how much that set ya back? Think it might be the same thing on mine?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I suspect the light is due to a dodgy EGR valve - very common fault on the Mk4.

I dont think u are probably aware but as u have an early mk4 u can self diagnose any engine managament lights with just the help of a paperclip!

Much better than payin £40-60 for a hookup.

Details below.

Id try the self test and see if any faults show up - is there any general running problems like hesitation, stalling etc??

What u could do regardless if its running ok or not is to clean out the throttle body, Idle Control stepper motor & EGR valve with a can of carb cleaner - £4 from local motor factors and only takes 30mins or so and thats including stripping off the air intake plenum etc.

Piece of piss to do on the X16SZR engine (same as mine so I know) - if u need any help gimme a shout.

I used to have the EML lit up on mine but not had any serious issues but I changed the EGR as a matter of course as it was a bargain buy (£20) and cleaned the intake/ICV/EGR etc and its been perfect ever since.
    Also try resetting the ECU by leaving the battery disconnected for 30mins. This will clear any fault codes stored in the ECU. (Remember to have ur radio code at hand if using OE stereo)

The Airbag light as u know is a different story and can only be switched off with Tech2.... u could always have a look under the seats and make sure the connections are all intact... failing that it'll be a definite Tech2 job to daignose the cause of the light tripping and remove it if necessary.

Paperclip self-diagnosis test for early mk4s

Basically lift up the cover (ie the u-shaped piece of plastic) underneath the handbrake. Here you'll find the OBD (on board diagnostics) port. You need to fit the paperclip/wire in pins 5 & 6. Switch on ignition until dash lights come on then count the number of flashes the engine management light gives out.

It'll be a set sequence of flashes and pauses.

It'll then repeat itself about 3 times then move onto the next fault code if more than one is stored.

More info can be found at www.topbuzz.co.uk - click on "Info Tech Section" then "Reading ECU Fault Codes" and all the info is there.

It really does sound bizarre i know - but i did it on mine and got the code straight away.

Report on here your findings - or check on the site above (or even a google) and youll get the same result that a diagnostic hook up would give....only for nowt!

To remove access panel - insert small flatblade screwdriver as shown and pivot the panel upwards....it should look like this once removed.

Heres what the OBD port should look like (although its not from a Mk4)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OMG!!!! That is the cleverest thing ever! Just done the paperclip thing. the code it was flashing was 1, 4, 10, 5, 1, 4, 10, 5. I have no idea what this means tho. Checked that website and it only goes up to Astra F. Got my battery disconned now. I'll let ya no how it goes.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yup I was right

1-4-0-5 is EGR Valve

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll try and track u down a cheap one at a good rate if u bear with me

GM part number is 17200272 and retails at approx £80+ VAT from Vauxhall

Theres 2 on ebay at the mo in auction format that could be worth a punt

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Genu...QQcmdZViewItem

&

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EGR-VALVE_W0QQ...QQcmdZViewItem

If however u prefer a BUY IT NOW then for less than £50 Vauxhall Gods LMF will supply u one here:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-EGR-V...QQcmdZViewItem

You may find that by cleaning it as mentioned earlier - it'll remove the fault light....if u do clean it (and it would be the sensible & cheapest thing to do) then clean the TB & ICV while ur at it.

HTH

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

Oh, i got it now! My fault code is 1405, which is the "Exhaust Gas Re-circulation valve (EGR). Now, does that mean I need a new EGR valve, where is it located, and how much would ya expect that to be?
    Cheers for this info btw.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    above post edited with prices etc

it doesnt necessarily mean u need a new one - the old one may just need cleaning up with carb cleaner.

Look in the HOW TO section on the main page - theres info there on how to change/clean the EGR valve....

Basically on the X16SZR - u need to remove all the air intake plastics and especially the resonator (black box on top of engine) - under u will see the main throttle housing... below it u will see the EGR valve - look at the ebay links above so u know what i mean. Whip it off and give it a good goin over with carb cleaner - refit, check wiring is ok and see if it still does it.

As said before - clean the throttle butterfly and the ICV while ur at it...
    The ICV - looks like this

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is that the huge black bit right at the top of the engine, that has two bolts with star heads on them? If so, i cant get the bolts off! just popping to No Frills DIY to get the right screwdriver. Lol. Does the valve need removing to clean, or is it possible to leave it connected? BRB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast