Thread: Anyone here work with the DVLA?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone here work with the DVLA?

Some may know, but there's a plan of me coming over there Not immediately, but in the next 6-9mths and i'm starting to try and find out all I can about what I need to do when I get to the UK.

I've looked at the DVLA site and it takes me to 'direct.gov.uk' which tells me something about converting from an australian license to a UK license - but it all seems overly general, etc, and asks for ID I couldn't possibly have (like UK birth certificate and a photo signed by a UK resident that has known me for 2+yrs, etc)...

Can anyone explain if I have a full aussie license (for 7 years) what I do to get a british one? We will be staying at least a year at this stage... I'll be on a 2yr permit that states that i 'must plan to make the UK my home' so it's assumed i'm going to be there longer than 2yrs! Anyone?

Thanks
    Aaron
    Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra SRi 2.2L
    For all your Car Audio Questions
    http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/upload/n/nutter.jpg
    *I choose to reject your reality and substitute my own*

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You'll need to book a Theory Test, pass that, then book the Practical Test. I'm pretty sure you can only use a non-EU licence for a month or so.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From what i can see you can use it as normal, or change it for a UK Licence according to: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022556

May be wrong tho

That is wrong I think, its 12 months from the date you became resident. Use this tool which will tell you exactly what you need to know : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Mo...rive_in_gb.dsb

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sadly the only licences valid in that link is EC/EEA countries of which Oz obviously aint a member state.

Not the end of the world though!!!

You can actually drive upto 12months over here providing u have a full OZ licence....

Heres all the gen:
    http://bhc.britaus.net/About_the_UK/...ult.asp?id=248

Taken from above link

Q. I have a full Australian driving licence. Do I have to get an International licence to drive in the UK

A. If you hold a valid Australian driving licence or International Driving Permit you may drive in Great Britain in the vehicles covered by your licence for a period of 12 months. If you are a visitor, 12 months from the date you last entered the country, or, if you are a resident, 12 months from the date you took up residence, providing you are not barred from driving in Great Britain.

A facility exists whereby Australian licences can be exchanged for British licences for up to 5 years from the date of entry into Great Britain.

To exchange a valid Australian driving licence for a British driving licence, you need to complete form D1 which is the actual application in addition to form D750 which is the new form for photo licences in the UK.

You can obtain these from the Post Office and return it to the DVLA at Swansea with your Australian licence All licences must be surrendered on exchange.

If you do not hold a full British driving licence at the end of the 12-month period, you will not be covered to drive in the UK on an Australian licence.

It should be noted that visitors holding full Large Goods Vehicles or Passenger Carrying Vehicle driving licences are only allowed to drive temporarily imported vehicles.

For enquires about driving in Northern Ireland contact the Northern Ireland Licensing Authority.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i will gladly swap my license and personnal details for yours - ill ive in oz u live here lol

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 888rich View Post
    i will gladly swap my license and personnal details for yours - ill ive in oz u live here lol
    funny as i was thinking the same
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP