Thread: Job Advice

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Job Advice

I have been at my current job about a year and a half ish doing sheet metal work. When I started I was untrained, didnt own any tools and never done the job before. After about the first week I decided this was the job for me and I started buying tools etc and now I would say that im semi skilled (even though I can do everything that the fully qualified people do lol). When I first started up to about 6 months ago there was loads of overtime and I was making good money even though I was on a rubbish wage. Now im on a good wage but the overtime has disappeared and im only just scraping though on my wages. I tried asking for another pay rise but I was told no because we haven't got much work, I asked a few people who have been there 20 years plus and they said that they are normally without overtime for about a year! So basically I wont get a pay rise for a year!
    Now it gets difficult, someone that I used to work with works at another metal work place and said he told his boss my situation and they his boss said come and see him for a chat and a look around and I can start after i've worked my notice out at my old place. They also said they will start me on 50p more an hour and I get flexi time and all the overtime I want.
    Do I take the money and run and leave the place that taught me my trade or stick it out at my place and hope we get a big job come in soon?
    I like my current place but I would like to get paid the same as other people with same skills and the boss is banning smoking on the whole site and says the smokers have to be off the premises only at lunch and break times to smoke which is nearly a 10 min walk.
    Should I stay or should I go? Any advice would help thanks

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    May sound selfish but in life you have to look after number 1.

If the other company is offering more cash and a better working environment I would probably take them up on their offer.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im with buckle on this, look after no.1 Nobody else will in the workplace!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You work to earn money, take the offer, or atleast go in for a chat with the guy. you want more money and more overtime and this chap seems to be offering it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Think I would be better off leaving before they start laying people off at my place because ive been told they did that before when the work ran out and the day feels so much longer when your standing around doing fa