Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

coupe mk4 front seat problem

Hi can anyone help,

I can't get the passenger seat to move forward to allow someone to get into the back of the car. The seat moves forward and back when you lift the bar under the front of the seat but when you use the handle on the side of the seat by the headrest it doesn't move. does anybody know how to fix this without taking it to a vauxhall garage and giving my money away?

Thanks

Matt

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mines is the same!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    mines the same as well. when you lift the handle which allows it to tilt forwards does it feel loose?

if so this means that the wire which connects to two levers at the bottom of the seat (inside the seat) arent connected. what it is, is two wires which connect to the lever at the top (which you pull to tilt the seat). these two wires go either side of the seat. one at the left and one at the right. they have hoops on them which connect to the bottom levers. when the handle is pulled up this wires pull the actual mechanism inside the seat up allowing it to move forwards.

if you are lucky the wires at the bottom have simply come off their hooks. all you will have to do in this case is to open the seat by unclipping the two pieces of material on the rear side of the seat. these are held together by a plastic clip which unclips by pulling the centre piece of material towards the door (if you unclip the right hand side of the drivers seat for instance, its the opposite for the other side).

if the wires inside are broken then it means you will obviously have to buy new wires and probably get vauxhall to fix the lever. ive got the wires but havnt been bothered to go to vauxhall. i tried to do it myself but its next to impossible to get into the top lever mechanism.

hope this helped clear up the problem. if you have any questions just ask.
    "I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them."

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Want to get my back off too. My side-release lever doesn't work but the passenger underseat adjust lever does...not sure whether this is a good or bad sign for state of cable!

Can you give more information about how to get the back cover off?

I have a Mk4 SRI with sports seats and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to get a grip in the middle as the back material and the different coloured material for the bottom seem to be very close fitting. I tried giving it quite a tug but nothing seemed to be happening - a complete idiots guide very welcome, especially with illustrations!

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Think you will find he means his seat tips forwards fine but it wont slide forwards to give more room to get in the back. Sorry but I cant help with the problem

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzuk777 View Post
    Want to get my back off too. My side-release lever doesn't work but the passenger underseat adjust lever does...not sure whether this is a good or bad sign for state of cable!

Can you give more information about how to get the back cover off?

I have a Mk4 SRI with sports seats and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to get a grip in the middle as the back material and the different coloured material for the bottom seem to be very close fitting. I tried giving it quite a tug but nothing seemed to be happening - a complete idiots guide very welcome, especially with illustrations!

Thanks
    Are you tring to do it on the part the you sit on?

If so you are in the wrong place. You need to do it from the rear.

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No I AM trying to do it at the back of the seat near the bottom - have also tried on the sides a bit. I guess there are several different kinds of seats around at least. Presumably at least the normal basic seats (velour?), the no-name cloth sports seats (which my SRI has - anyone else think the cloth style in black is a little double decker bus-like?), leather seats and maybe also branded sports seats? Presumbly the back cover may detach differently for some/all of these types?

To clarify my actual problem with the passenger seat, I can use the under-seat lever to pull the seat fully forward and back, but the side-release lever only allows me to tilt the passenger seat forward but not move it either back or forward.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Take apart the seat. I just done it. All you have to do is put ur thumbs on either side on the back at top part where they join and there is a hard plastic sleeve wriggle it till it unclips. Then do the same for both the side pieces at the back of the seat push the bottom one through the gap between the seats and pull off the twisty knob on both sides of seat. The from the front just lift the fabric and the fiberglassy shizz up and u will see all the cables, springs, tensioners just becareful its ichy and it cut my knuckle lol. Then to sort it all back together just reverse the way u did itclip thesides back on and pull the front piece as hard as u can through the back and clip THE SIDES of the back first and it will just all pop together enjoy

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you can tilt it forward then it'll be the cable probably. i'm having trouble with mine. it wont tip forward or move forward. my lever has snapped off i think but i cant get to the top of the seat. is there any way.