Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

astra_dave's Coupe 1.8

from start to how she is now.
    I decided i wanted an Astra Coupe when i was doing my basic army training, the car was my reward to me for passing out alive, i wanted and SE2 in Blue or Gold, with the full irmscher kit and leather, needless to say they were out of my price range or simply not for sale at the time. My Dad went on a mission looking for Coupe for me whilst i was still in basic, after weeks for searching for a decent one he found this one in Leeds, at a Honda Garage! which was 45miles from my house. As soon as i passed out the next day i was at the garage looking at her, i had forgotten that Coupes come in this colour and just fell inlove her with straight away, i took her for a test drive, and just loved it, one week and some paper work later i was walking out of the Honda dealer with my new Astra Coupe on 31k.

Now i was very happy with the car, but it didn't take long before i wanted to modify her, within 3 days i had put my Sony MP3 HU in and changed the door speakers to the Pro-plus JGX 525's comps.
    The idea was ii was only going to buy top brand parts for her, but i was Halfords chavving it to the max, and i just had to buy the Ripspeed backbox, it was £37, it should have been £110, so i bought it coz it was cheap, lol
    1st major mod, new backbox

My mate bought a 3 dr hatchback a few month before i even thought about the coupe, and he was on A-S or AOC as its now know, and he had done research into GM and stuff, and found out about Holden, so he had already put the Holden badge on the rear of his Astra, i stole his idea and went 2 better, i got the front grill and alloy wheel centre caps!
    Then much Holden-ness

then i decided i wanted a splitter to try n make her look a tad lower, once again, my mate already had one on his hatch back, i was determined to make mine better, lol.

For a few month i was quite happy with the car, and i couldn't afford to do much else to her, i picked up a Courtenay Sport panel filter at PVS 2006 and a new rear sticker.
    Next on the list was a remus centre section, AOC swore by them so to speak, so i got one :grin and bloody hell, the car was loud with the ripspeed backbox, i loved it!!!!! but the neighbours didn't, so after a couple of months i bought a new powerflow backbox

whilst doing the backbox, i fit the brake air deflectors which i had ordered n just not fit, they do make a BIG difference to brake fade.

One day whilst i was in my local scrappy, sat here in mint condition was a SE2 coupe with a very nice blue spoiler on it, one impluse buy and 20mins later the spoiler was in the back of my car on its way to the paint shop

Inbetween times, i had been working on some installs for the her, she was on her 3rd by this time, no pics - can't be bothered with the install.
    The biggest an 2nd most expensive change that i've made to the car is the alloys, it took me quite alot of messing around to actually pick the alloys up from the seller, but im so glad i did, i love them! but she was so screaming out to be lowered, but that was gonna have to wait.

After the alloys, the calipers got painted, just because, lol

next came the engine bay, one afternoon i was bored at my uncles garage, so i found some spray paint and asked him to spray the bits i gave him, i really liked it in red, i thought it went well with the calipers.

Right, the next thing to address was the Asylum Seeker suspension, after hours of careful research, my springs where ordered. Weitec Series F 50/30mm

PVS 2007 was coming up quickly, i still wanted to get some bits done before the show, i was on AOC and group buy came up for carbon dial surrounds, so i got one coz i really like it

Also whilst on AOC a steering wheel came up cheap, and it was red so it matched the style i was going for at the time.

Whilst bored one day, i moved the radio from the top din slot to the bottom one, for when i bought the oil pressure gauge and oil temp gauges, but that wasn't for a while.
    6 weeks left till PVS, and i still had alot of work to do, my front end needed repainting and the rear needed a coat just to some daft tart scratching it.
    1st job, order the din panel and gauges for the dash with the din plate on order from a lad on AOC it was a trip to ebay for the Autogauge gauges, oil pressure, temp and voltage. (cheaper to buy 3 than 2)
    they turned up 3 weeks before PVS

During the conquest of everything red, i got bullied by my mate with the Astra hatch to change to colour, so i did, everything was going to go blue apart from the calipers.
    With this in mind, a new gaiter set was ordered from Glenn Yale.
    Custom made, blue and silver with black stiching.

2 weeks to go to PVS, everything went blue.

At PVS 2007!

Because the car was due to be on VBOC stand, a month or so before the show, i decided that i wanted an install, the evening before the show it was finished!

along the way, i'd also got a new aerial and bonnet lifters, and i'd swapped headlights with my mate in the hatch, as standard coupes have tinted headlights, so i wanted the lightened ones, i also removed the VXL badge on the rear.
    So there we go, all ready for PVS 2007!
    but it didn't stop there, after having a blinding show, i decided it was time that i got some shockers for my springs as there was no pretension on them when the car was jacked up, and it would have failed its German MOT. *forgot say, also bought some LHD headlights at PVS for Germany!.
    After a long hard choice and debate, i was back on ebay buying Technix Shortened Sport Shocks.
    whilst waiting for the shocks to turn up, i had a slight inident with an RX7 so needed a new rear bumper aswel. Luckily my bestest mate with the hatch came to my rescue and managed to get the blue bumper off the SE2 astra that i had robbed the spoiler off!
    We fit the shocks and bumper in one night, started at 7pm and left at midnight
    Dave's technicolour suspension!

And that was the last major thing thats been done to her.
    Today, shes like this.

BUT thats all to change, i've just bought a new GSi front bumper.
    like this one

and i've ordered a new rear spoiler

and i've got a set of light brows on order.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegman View Post
    You know me so well and not even dinner, a movie and some flowers Tony. What sort of man do you think I am!!!!!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    the GSi front bumper and the spoiler have arrived, just waiting on the light brows then i can get everything in paint
    You know me so well and not even dinner, a movie and some flowers Tony. What sort of man do you think I am!!!!!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Podgehog off VBOC has photoshopped my car with GSi front and the spoiler im getting

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    and next weekend i'll be picking up my new bonnet
    that exact one

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    so i've now got all the parts, all fitted and almost fully painted, but due to a certain Astra Coupe in this months TV i've decided that mine needs to be a tad different. Pics to follow next week once its completed.

Chassis wise, im awaiting a nice set of 308mm black diamond combi discs and predater pads from LMF, and possibly anti roll bars front and rear.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The 'something a tad different' is almost complete.
    Fit the 308mm brake upgrade today, not getting the antiroll bars yet, can't afford them.

Pics to follow when i can be bothered.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As everyone knows i've got a custom bonnet and GSi bumper and light brows and GSi style spoiler. All the prep work went spot on. So we thought anyway, the bumper went a tad wrong
    Mr Critch repaired the bumper whilst me and Kate (good friend) prepped the bonnet and everything else and eventually the bumper when it was finished.

After a hard day Mr Critch had a better idea than to repair the bumper

All finished repair wise, now to just prep it.

Kate hard at work prepping the bumper

Whilst Kate was doing that, i was busy doing the spoiler, and getting that to fit.
    All primed and ready to go.

Trail fitment.

Quick job, light brows inbetween doing the bumper and spoiler.

Prove i did abit!

Trail fit of the bumper

Right, the 2nd most expensve change of the car! The bonnet!.
    How it started life on my car. Blue. With a quick trial fit of the lights brows before they got prepped.

Trail fit of bonnet and bumper.

Mr Critch hard at work again, flatting the bumper down

Now we had MASSIVE problems with getting the bumper in paint, what ever was on it, even after prepping it several times, the paint still reacted, in the end it was sealed, primed 4 times and finally gone into colour today! No pics of the most recent bumper, but you can see where it reacted.
    Pics of the bumper and things in paint to follow soon!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    More pics for everyone. As you can see the bumper reacted rather badly, god knows what was on the plastic.

so with that reacting, we had no choice but to leave it and carry on with everything else.
    Bonnet

Spoiler

Couple of hours to dry and we get this

Absolutely brilliant. Or so i thought........

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    inbetween doing the bodywork, the chassis and engine got a bit of an upgrade.

Engine wise.... Lexmaul Manicat, what a difference this thing makes, sooo much more torquer after 3k.

and chassis wise, a nice 308mm black diamond combi discs and predator pads, also fit flat wiper blades.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    so after finally getting the paint on the bumper, i took a step back and thought brilliant! well worthy of a mag feature. Opened this months TV to find a coupe more or less the same as mine there. i was quite upset, drastic action was needed. An idea from Mr Critch sealed the car's fate......

and work got under way.

starting with a brew

then the prep work began again!

i have no pics of the bumper or mirrors being prepped for some reason.
    apart from this one.

then it was time for the 2nd colour.

Time for laquer

Almost done, no pics of the bumper being worked on, but this is what she looks like 1st time out of the garage in FULL paint, and complete bumper minus fog lights.

And in the day light after a full wax and polish.

But that wasn't enough according to Mr Critch, after spending a coupe of hours on the internet, he had a brain wave and my new bonnet got attacked, and the hinges moddified to do this.

Not to everyones taste, but i love it!

And there it is! she's 99% finished bodywork wise.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast