Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust Problem

Hey everyone.

Was driving at lunchtime today and i heard a loud scrapping noise from the back of my car, i pulled over and looked at the back of my car and there was a big bit of metal hanging off it, it looks like it was some sort of cover of my backbox (is that what it is?) and it seems like it has rusted away and came off but was hanging on by one corner so i pulled at it a bit and it broke off, now looking at the backbox itself it appears to be a bit rusted.

Now i need some advice, can i leave the car the way it is or do i need to put some sort of cover over the backbox or do i need to buy a new exhaust?

Thanks for any help

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From your description it sounds like the outer skin of the exhaust has come away - if so then its nowt to worry about - as long as its not blowing.

The exhausts have a double skin - cant remember the reason why but some boffin will confirm why... anyway providing its not blowing then its perfectly ok - it just may look a bit weathered shall we say.

If it came from above the backbox itself then it may have been the exhaust heatshield which is fairly flimsy and often hangs off.

My advice is check it is the outer skin and check for exhaust blows - if all is ok - then forget about it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im pretty sure its the outer skin as you said as i noticed it before when i had the car on the pit and i was under it it looked pretty rusted, i dont think its blowing as the car doesn't sound any louder, should i do something with the backbox to stop it rusting or will it be ok as it is?

Thanks for the info.

Heres a couple of pics of it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that looks like part of the heatshield to me
    Fitted options: Folding mirrors, cruise control, dual tone horn, remap.
    Next: Bluetooth

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thats just the outer skin of the rear box, nothing to worry about but you will probably find yourself needing a new one soon if it's that rusty, you tend to find once the outer skin has gone the rest will go soon, give you a good excuse to fit a nice rear box, or maybe even a cat back system
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was thinking about changing it for something else but i dont really like having a loud car, i like my car being nice and quiet.

The actual back box i dont know if its rusted or not, it has a strange colour to it but havent had a good look at it yet to see if it is actually rust or not.

How much am i looking at for either just a replacement, a rear box or a cat back system, i assume the cat back system would give me some performance increase? Also is it something I could fit myself?

Cheers.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you don't want a noise increase then i would just change the rear box, there's plenty of choice out there, my first mod was a Magnex rear box, using the original centre section there was very little noise increase at all, but then i wanted a bit more so i went for the Remus race centre pipe section, it's not too noisey but you can hear it !!
    http://www.roadrunnermotorsport.co.uk/
    http://www.europerformance.co.uk/
    Performance wise you won't really notice anything with a rear box apart from it will look better
    With a cat back system you will achieve a couple of bhp, mate it up with the airbox modification and maybe a couple more
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/docum...derestrict.pdf
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/docum...ectra-pipe.pdf
    Rear box fitment if it is a bolt together fit then you should find that quite easy, if it is a sleeve fitment as the centre pipe is to the cat then they can be a bugger and easier on a ramp
    If you just want a better look with no noise increase then just change the rear box, you could always add a centre section later on if you wanted
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio