VX Racing’s Fabrizio Giovanardi and Tom Chilton suffered from mixed misfortunes in today’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship qualifying at Donington Park.

Current BTCC Drivers Championship leader Giovanardi struggled throughout the 30-minute session with a problem related to the engine. The Italian, who leads by one point ahead of arch-rival SEAT’s Jason Plato, was forced to repeatedly come into the pits and finished in a disappointing 15th place in the end.

Team-mate Tom Chilton had the team hoping for a good result and was running in sixth position until the end with only 0.600s off pole position time. After qualifying, however, the Vauxhall Vectra failed the weight check by two kilograms which led to Chilton loosing all of his quick lap times. The 22-year-old will start from the back of the grid tomorrow.

The first of tomorrow’s (Sunday’s) three races at the Leicestershire circuit will start at 10:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio Giovanardi

“We didn’t have a problem at all this morning and I even did a long run and there were no signs of a problem. But as soon as I went out to record my first quick lap something went wrong. We are not quite sure yet what it is.

“It’s good that my main rival, Plato, isn’t far ahead of me which helps, but still I’m very disappointed.”
Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chilton

“I am really gutted to be put at the back of the grid. I had a good session and did some more set-up changes throughout and the car responded really well to it.

“All I can do now for tomorrow is hope for rain and attack from the back.”
Quote Originally Posted by Alex Somerset, Giovanardi’s Race Engineer
“It’s just one of those unfortunate things that happens. We had a car fast enough to be at the front of the grid but a problem on Fabrizio’s engine occurred during qualifying and we are working on it now to find out what it is. Bad luck happens!”