Thread: Coupe Rear Calipers (Lucas)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Coupe Rear Calipers (Lucas)

Has anyone got any help hints for when it comes to changing the rear brake pads on a coupe (besides taking it to a dealer). I had a bit of a go at winding back the caliper on Saturday, but it couldn't get it to go all the way back in to fit around the new pads.

Cheers
    Hayezy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You got the special tool for winding the piston back? some people can do it with pliers and hope but I prefer to use the proper tool. Cost about £19.99 from Halfords IIRC, you local to Stockport? don't mind lending you mine if it helps. So long as you return it of course
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    You got the special tool for winding the piston back? some people can do it with pliers and hope but I prefer to use the proper tool. Cost about £19.99 from Halfords IIRC, you local to Stockport? don't mind lending you mine if it helps. So long as you return it of course
    Hi Oddjob, I bought one of the block things that goes on the end of the socket ratchet, but I can't get enough pressure to close the last half inch or so in the caliper, I think I may have managed to procure a professional snap-on tool for doing the job.

Thanks for the offer of yours, I'll let you know if I need it.
    Cheers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you taken the cap off the fluid reservoir? (it shouldnt make much difference but might be enough.....)

if you cant wind them back easily then I'd say they be fubar.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slindborg View Post
    have you taken the cap off the fluid reservoir? (it shouldnt make much difference but might be enough.....)

if you cant wind them back easily then I'd say they be fubar.
    They can't be fubar, because they still work, I think it just needs a little more pressure against it to wind it back

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oddd, never had pistons resist wind back in that way (the brembro ones on the vx just go back in with needle nose pliers with no pressure at all)

when my bosch one were fubar they still "worked" but didnt retract far enough etc and refused to wind back.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slindborg View Post
    oddd, never had pistons resist wind back in that way (the brembro ones on the vx just go back in with needle nose pliers with no pressure at all)

when my bosch one were fubar they still "worked" but didnt retract far enough etc and refused to wind back.
    I'll have to see, borrowed a very fancy snap-on wind back tool from a mate, we'll see if that works or not.