Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car booked into stealers - concerns.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Car booked into stealers - concerns.

Booked the car in for them to have a look at fault codes and why my power steering is playing up. Have a few concerns tho:

1 - My ECU has been remapped and ive told them NOT to update any software/re flash ecu whilst its in - so they dont replace it with OE software. Will this be enough for the technician to know NOT to do this? (ie, will the guy on the fone i spoke to pass the msg on?) Or shall i resort to sello-taping a big warning note on the steering wheel???

2 - As i live 15miles from dealers they have arranged to pick/drop car back off at my home address as they havnt any courtesy cars available. However i cant help but think my car is gonna be thrashed enroute my the guy who picks it up?! Spose there isnt much i can do to stop this tho? mmm.

What u guys think?
    Former GSi owner, now own a plastic car with a vectra engine......

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    If I were you I'd do the steering wheel and also over the OBD port itself.

I'm affraid theres no way you can stop them from thrashing your car. Especially if you warn them its been remapped then they will see what it can do. But if he's an older bloke he probably won't care and will drive it normally. These guys have probably been in everything Vauxhall has made VXR8/ cally turbo/ VXR's ect and there probably that used to it all that they really don't care.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you want them to check fault codes you cant cover the OBD port.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Not permenantly. But the guy who picks up the phone and books the job and the guy who drives the car to and from and the guy who initially works on it, is not necessarily the guy who's gonna use the tech2. Therefore putting a notice warning them not to update the ECU due to a remap on the OBD2 port will make sure that the person who is going to plug the tech2 in will know.
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought most decent remappers take a backup of the finished map, and stick it back on if the dealer blanks the ECU?

I know the couple of local remappers who do this gratis.

You'll also find the dealer will blame the remap for the problems, don't you?

The only way to ensure your car won't be raked about is to take it to the dealers, sit there and wait for it, and go on the test drive with them...
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the guy who remapped mine has my OE map and current map on his database in the event my ecu is flashed or i want OE map back on, but i would have to pay for him to come out to me to remap the car again if the dealers get forgetful, which i obviously dont want.

According to on board comp, i have a range of 54 miles (currentley based on averaging 39mpg), so this should get him there and and back (30miles round trip) if he takes it easy. If he rags it then he will have to fill it up.

Last time car went into dealers i reset the milage n they had done 11miles in it! Apparentley this was the test drive after my boost control valve was fitted....

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Yeah the "test run" consisted of popping to Morrisons (they'd ran out of milk), down to another dealership to exchange parts, to another wholesaler to pick up yet more parts. But it worked fine so was cleared on the testing phase .

Bloody garages
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When I worked as a VX technician we thrashed everything 1.0 novas and all. Do you thrash the car? If so what's the difference. Take it in with an empty fuel tank and they won't go very far in it
    Be Happy

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Drives
    Astra J Bi Turbo
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Chris what I used to do when I used to take the GSI to a dealership for service was stick a post it note on the steering wheel and stick it down with tape - mine was telling them not to replace the spark plugs.

Luckily I know one of the mechanics at the dealership and I only ever requested him to work on my car, which the person taking the call made sure happened.

the one time he didnt I found out the lads in the garage had been driving up and down the estate where they worked making the dump valve go off!

I used to write down all the readings on the clock and puter as well - if your that worried about it try and get a lift down to collect or as ZS said sit and wait for it and then go on the test drive with them. (you could set up hidden cameras if you where that worried )

the mechanic I know has set up on his own and he is the only mechanic I trust to work on the GSI and who I feel comfortable leaving it with - I know I am lucky having someone like that.
    Astra J Bi Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    jalfrezigazee: "When I worked as a VX technician we thrashed everything 1.0 novas and all. Do you thrash the car? If so what's the difference. Take it in with an empty fuel tank and they won't go very far in it"

I would say i "thrash" the car 10% of the time, not that it makes a difference if i thrashed it 100% of the time, just dont want someone else doin it in my car! Oh and thanks for filling me with confidence! lol

The thing is i have relocated to this area for my job and dont know any mechanics etc so main dealers it has to be, where i used to live and grew up i had a mechanic i always used and trusted (family friend) so my car was always safe! This is why im so unsure about using other people! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast