Thread: a few Z20LET remap questions

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

a few Z20LET remap questions

hi i am fairly new to the turbo scene so you will have to forgive my daft questions

pretty soon i want to get my Z20let remapped but before i do that i am going to get a Precat replacement for it anyway, i have already done all the airbox mods, got a Bailey Dump valve and got a Scorpion oval Backbox on it.

is there much difference between say a Courtney Stage 1, and Regal stage 1 or would anyone recommend anyone else's maps?

also in the future i will be getting a different Intercooler, i like the look of the group buy front mounted ones but am scared away from them a bit due to all the custom pipes you have to get made up for them and fitting,

would i be better off fitting an intercooler first or doing any different mods first and then going straight to stage 2 and again regal or courtney or another?

bear in mind my car has done over 104'000 miles though although it did have a new standard spec turbo 16'000 miles ago before i got the car and the engine seems to runs sweet with no noise/smoke or rattles whatsoever so will the mileage be a problem with tuning it, cos i dont want to knacker my engine up?
    Daily Driver: 2004 Europa Blue Astra Convertible with cream leather.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benmic92 View Post
    hi i am fairly new to the turbo scene so you will have to forgive my daft questions

pretty soon i want to get my Z20let remapped but before i do that i am going to get a Precat replacement for it anyway, i have already done all the airbox mods, got a Bailey Dump valve and got a Scorpion oval Backbox on it.

is there much difference between say a Courtney Stage 1, and Regal stage 1 or would anyone recommend anyone else's maps?
    Try a search, think this has been covered in detail before

also in the future i will be getting a different Intercooler, i like the look of the group buy front mounted ones but am scared away from them a bit due to all the custom pipes you have to get made up for them and fitting,
    I have just bought another 1 of these intercoolers - will let you lnow exactly what is needed

would i be better off fitting an intercooler first or doing any different mods first and then going straight to stage 2 and again regal or courtney or another?

bear in mind my car has done over 104'000 miles though although it did have a new standard spec turbo 16'000 miles ago before i got the car and the engine seems to runs sweet with no noise/smoke or rattles whatsoever so will the mileage be a problem with tuning it, cos i dont want to knacker my engine up?
    Check previous history to see if the Cambelt and waterpump have been changed!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    the previous owner had the cambelt and waterpump done at 101'000 mate so that should be ok for a while, cheers for the reply mate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    with regards to who to do the remap then id stick to the big three if i were you ,courtenay, regal and thorney. you will get everones opinion when it comes to who. i went with courtenay only because they are vauxhall only tuners, its there bread and butter so they have to be good at what they do and believe me they are. precat pipe and exhaust is a good start! if your changing the intercooler before remap then go for stage two! its good the belt and water pump have been changed as the are prone to failure which can prove nasty. milage souldnt be an issue if its full service history. change your oil every 4, 5000miles with a good FULLY synthetic oil as this wont bake onto turbo seals as much as say semi synthetic. allow to warm up and cool down before and after thrashing. if your really after tuning it then dont waste money on stage 1 then do the ic after because after this is on you will need to pay for stage 2 software on top of what you allready paid for stage 1. hope this is of help to you but the way to do it is your own way. life would be boring if we were all the same. good luck with it whatever you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. just noticed your from leicester, thorney is in milton keynes? not sure if thats spelt right! they are a good setup and close to home.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it is any help EDS maps which Regal use are more aggressive whereas the Courtenay map fron RICA is more progressive. I think the Thorney maps would also be more progressive as they are Superchips derived.
    Depends on what way you like your power served up. All produce a similar level of power increase.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    in all honesty mate i reckon all 3 are as good as each other, i saw an AMD test on ZLET.co.uk? and all came out around about the same, as we all know r/r results can vary at different companys all over the uk, very rare when they are the same. mind you i have used a tuner in norwich in the past and courtenays. the r/r results were not out much at all, 1 bhp and a few pounds of torque? so i dont think any company is better than the other at all really, they are 3 very good companys. just go to which ever is closer mate? whatever you do you wont be disapointed

good luck and enjoy
    the black Opel Sri-t with bbs ch alloys and
    Eds3.5

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had my remap done at Thorney and would recomend him. My map is nice and smooth. when he done mine he said he had over 80 different maps for the GSI selects the one closest to the mods you have then he tweaks the map while on the rolling road to get the best out of it. beore u pay u take it out for a run to see the difference. further remaps are free when u upgrade with them

But all the others are good too courtney, Regal, Dap and VXR performnace centre aka 888. Take a look at their websites and speak to them then make ur mind up.
    SMIC, miltek catback, precat, Thorney remap 242.7 bhp 281lb/ft torque

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    thank you for all the responses, i will wait until i have fitted a different intercooler first then go straight to stage 2, ive been reading up about courtney and think they are the ones i will use more than likely

Mike.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good choice, good set of lads down there!!!!