Thread: HIDs and MK4s, we may be illegal guys

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HIDs and MK4s, we may be illegal guys

Spotted this one another forum and had never even heard a whisper about it so it came as a bit of a shock.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Very worrying news for a LOT of members come MOT time. My headlights are ok being genuine GSi Xenon lights using a D2S bulb but I wonder if Angel eyes and Depo sharkeyes have the ECE regulation 98 approval, I'd imagine they would either be stamped or have a sticker on them.

Might have to fit a set of washers now.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah ive been advising members on this forum of that for quite some time... (or at least re: fitting to non xenon/projector lights) but at the end of the day its down to the tester on the day and how knowledgable/leniant they are.

Id imagine the Angels/Sharks to have the approval considering they are originally intended for xenons.....then again I cant confirm so it may be worth looking into........ or not as the case may be - just see what happens come MOT time

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    That'll be interesting for us Mot stations, i'll ask my friendly Ministry chappie when he's round next, he's very helpfull with questions like this, as long as i make him tea that is
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    all i did when fitting my hids was to leave the standard wiring loom so all year round the hids are working and a day befor mot time remove the hid bulbs and unplug balasts and replace with halogen ones takes all of 10 mins to do

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just sent you a PM mate, strange your the first to reply isn't it.

Anyway, could this be why the angel eyes are being sold now with a sticker saying not suitable for HIDS?
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The law was passed December 2006 so its not as if they have done anything to enforce it.

Its like many aftermarket parts that are not legal.

Unless its enforced and places like MOT stations know about the law nothing is going to happen.

In my eyes nothings changed

All 3 cars with HID's fitted have passed MOT's fine (All the cars were done after dec 2006.

Astra was done end of Febuary, Corsa was in May and my Astra with them in standard lights was 3 weeks ago.).

My Astra with angel eyes and HID's has been through 2 MOT's with them and Passed,
    Laura's Corsa with angel eyes and HID's passed and her Astra's standard headlights were set up by a garage with the MOT headlight alignment thing and they said they are fine they give out the correct beam pattern and the only law regarding how bright the lights are is that you can have a maximum of 60 watt main beam and 55 watt dipped beam. And as you know the HID's only run at 35watt.

So it looks like they are ok for MOT's
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mot stations can't fail them unless they know about any law change, and to my knowledge we have'nt recieved any ' special notices ' regarding this yet, which is probably handy for people at the moment
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autoSRI View Post
    all i did when fitting my hids was to leave the standard wiring loom so all year round the hids are working and a day befor mot time remove the hid bulbs and unplug balasts and replace with halogen ones takes all of 10 mins to do

EXCELLENT!!!! BRILLIANT IDEA

TKS

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just because the car got through an MOT does not give you a get out of jail free card if your ever challenged about an aftermarket set of HIDs. They do look good and improve the visability of the poor standard lamps, but at the expense of every other road user who is blinded by poorly aligned, non leveling aftermarket kits. Its common sence that these kits shouldnt be used in dipped beam applications and basically a little bit selfish. I dont often agree with the law on a technicality, but on this one theyve got a bloody good point.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can understand where this is coming from, however there are far more dangerous things you can do to a car in terms of safety:

1) Fiberglass bumpers - they have no testing to ensure that if a padestrian is hit their injuries will be lessened.
    2) Replacement wing mirrors, standard ones fold back, replacment ones don't.
    3) Spoliers, the metal wings have been regulated, but do others comply with safety regulations?

I could go on, but hopefully you can see the point I'm trying to make?

I have HIDs in DEPO shark eyes and they are a good as those in a TT
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast