Thread: Astra 1.6 auto - 16v or 8v?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra 1.6 auto - 16v or 8v?

This question has probably been asked many times before, but if someone could summaries the advantages/disadvantages of each engine, that would be great. I'm looking for a 2000 (ish) Astra with auto box, and the 8v engines seems much much more common. In fact 1.6 16v engines seem pretty rare with the auto box. However is it worth tracking one down, or should i just go for an 8v engine? I appreciate that the 16v version has more bhp, but which is the stongest and most reliable engine? Is there much of a difference in performance and driveability? Any comments/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    To be honest from what I've seen with some performance mods you'll be seeing 100BHP in no time. The 1.6 16v is a bit of a duck. Doesn't seem to be anything around for it and doesn't respond great to tuning. Although it ain't gonna stop me from trying .

My neighbour has a 2000 1.6 8v auto. Tidy unit. Engines aren't too bad at all. Just as with any car. Keep it well serviced.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by jam View Post
    To be honest from what I've seen with some performance mods you'll be seeing 100BHP in no time. The 1.6 16v is a bit of a duck. Doesn't seem to be anything around for it and doesn't respond great to tuning. Although it ain't gonna stop me from trying .

My neighbour has a 2000 1.6 8v auto. Tidy unit. Engines aren't too bad at all. Just as with any car. Keep it well serviced.

jam
    How very dare you, my 1.6 16v seems to like what i've done so far and then when I stick fast road cams, SBD TB and a remap on it it will like it even more. My engine does what it's told.
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my 1.6 8v was a great little engine i never had a problem with it in the 2 years i had it.for an 8v it pulled quite well and mine's an estate.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

jam
    How do you get that because an auto can't be modded without blowing the torque converter, and once that's gone your screwed !
    Unless you have a very good reason for an auto dont buy one because the engine/drive just isn't modifiable !
    Most of the auto are 8V because the majority are ex disability cars.
    Its not a bad motor and in sprort will easily hit 100 but its just ain't no GSI as i found out at the last SW meet !
    Before you buy look into the electrics because mine was missing the wiring for most of the addons like tc/cc/electric mirrors/ rear electric windows.
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 8v is 75PS, 128Nm, 0-60=15.5, the 16v being 100PS, 150Nm, 0-60=12.5. By the time you've taken the gearbox losses off, that 25PS difference will seem a lot.

Both 1.6 engines, and the 1.4, share the same AF13 autobox so the 8v could be tuned up to 16v levels of torque without problem.

I have a 1.8 auto, 0-60=10.0, in comparison a 1.6 16v auto would be sedate, an 8v auto lethargic.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys. Is there much of a difference in economy with the 8v and 16v engines? I've heard that 30mpg is just about possible with the 8v, but ideally I'd like a bit more! Is the 16v engine any better? I presume the 1.8 auto is even less economical? Thanks again.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by AJB2K3 View Post
    How do you get that because an auto can't be modded without blowing the torque converter, and once that's gone your screwed !
    I was talking about the engine and not the gearbox
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So where an 8v auto engine is concerned what engine modifications am I limited to (other than intake mods & aftermarket filter)?

Ben
    Flame Red 3dr Mk IV Astra 1.6i
    De-restricted air box with Veccy 'C' Intake& K&N Filter, Irmshcer kit,I need a set of 4 stud 16"VX rims (PM me plz)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was talking about the engine and not the gearbox
    I seem to be missing the plot here because power comes from the engine into the box with the torque then out so its still putting undue pressure on the torque converter.

Everyone says it a big no no but ive never seen anything published on the box, in theory you should be able to power it up but without numerical data ive wouldn't have a clue (if you haven't guessed im wanting to do mine to be a little quicker to catch up with the other SW members !)
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast