Thread: Metal speedo facias--do they read incorrectly

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Metal speedo facias--do they read incorrectly

I currently working on a few members speedos to convert to multiple LEDs, you've seen the pics, one thing that I found odd was that in order to place the LEDs correctly I photocopied my old black 140 facia and marked the symbols with a pin, however the speedo I happened to be converting was a white faced one and just out of curiousity I held them together and they were different, markedly different in the markings. The white facia starts much higher up than the black, 0 on the rev counter is where 300 revs would be on the black, 7000 on the white is about 6300 on the black. Speed markings are similarly affected, 0 on the white is 5mph on the black, 140 on the white is 135 on the black.

Now this isn't a problem if your using the correct facia with the corrrect PCB but it then struck me, which did the makers of the laser cut facias use or any aftermarket facia manufacturer for that matter, if they used the white facia as their template could you be doing 35 thinking your doing 30, do you think your tickover is too high or too low due to the spacing being out.

Food for thought isn't it?
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the ones LMF sell are model specific

I only learned of the white/dial black dial situation after changing mine from white to black. Was so angry that everyone was doing under the speed limit until it clicked my speedo was out (took me a week to realise) and I had been speeding everywhere. Ooops.
    daBLUONE >
    ASTRA SXI > TWINPORT > ULTRA BLUE > 3 DOOR

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The LMF version may be model specific but they do both colours on most if not all models, so which one did they use for their template and were they even aware that the facias were different?

I may e-mail Steve at LMF and make him aware of the potential problem.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Correct - OE white and black dials have different angles between the markings and are not interchangeable between one another. So the metal dials would need to be OE speddo specific to read correctly

I did mention that in this thread a while back - http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...t=speedo+angle

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when you order the dials from lmf you are asked if you have white or black dials
    maybe this is why
    What is cross posting? Is it when you get angry and post it on a forum?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mankymic View Post
    when you order the dials from lmf you are asked if you have white or black dials
    maybe this is why
    Indeed thats true - Thats what I meant by model specific
    daBLUONE >
    ASTRA SXI > TWINPORT > ULTRA BLUE > 3 DOOR

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    Correct - OE white and black dials have different angles between the markings and are not interchangeable between one another. So the metal dials would need to be OE speddo specific to read correctly

I did mention that in this thread a while back - http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...t=speedo+angle
    Yeah I remember that conversation Geoff but TBH I didn't give it much credence, I couldn't believe that Vx would do such an odd thing, seems I was wrong to doubt you Still haven't seen a white faced clock with the yellow filter though on the facia, maybe I haven't looked hard enough

Quote Originally Posted by mankymic View Post
    maybe this is why
    Wasn't aware they asked but other manufacturers don't appear to, like Richwood for instance.