Thread: Just thought this may come in handy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just thought this may come in handy

I fitted some new front speakers yesterday. Fusion ones, with tweeters and crossovers. I didn't know where to mount the crossover as they were quite big. (i don't see why, they could have made them a lot smaller and easier to hide.)
    Anyway, decided that i wasn't going to place them anwahere inside the car, as that would mean running 2 sets of speaker wire into each door. Knock that on the head.
    So after taking the door card off and poking around, i figured the only decent place was going to be on the back of the doorcard somewhere.
    So anyway, in the end i decided that this is where i was gonna put them, however the gap wasn't large enough to accomodate the crossover, so i had to cut a big ol' chunk of that big black polestyrene stuff off.

You'll see in it's place, i've cut off of that big chunk, 4 smaller pieces, and glued them back onto the doorcard. This is to screw the Xover to, as screws would have just went straight through the doorcard. I was thinking of using some double sided tape, but then i thought the mounting location was too uneven. I know screw into polestyrene won't get THAT much of a hold, but it's not like there's going to be any stress on them, so i think they'll be fine. Another pic to show the location, and 4 screw things.

And here it finally sits, nice and sound, and out of the way. I also wrapped it up in a freezer bag to keep any moisture out.

Just thought i'd share the idea incase anyone else is stuck where to put the Xovers.
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58
    "you canít help but drive the 888 Astra hard, everywhere, constantly" - Evo Magazine.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    BRILLIANT!!! have a question which might sound stupid for the experts. if you put plastic on the cross over that would eliminate the moisture I agree but would it have a negavtive effect on the " HEAT " caused by enclosing it in a plastic?! Pls advise. I'm a newbie as far as your project is concerned..tks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't class myself as an expert on ICE, but i know a fair bit about it. To be honest, i can't see it producing that much heat. The Xover hasn't got any vents or anything like that on it in the first place, so heat mustn't be an issue.
    Plus, when i said that it was a waste of space in there, that may be a positive to the heat situation. If it was a lot tighter packed, it may get hotter, but there really is loads of unused room in there.
    Someone else has wrapped theirs up before for moisture protection. That's where i got the idea for it.
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58
    "you canít help but drive the 888 Astra hard, everywhere, constantly" - Evo Magazine.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    where did you run your tweeters to mate?
    Vectra GSi SeatsHella Headlights
    17" alloysPiper 3" rolled exhaust
    GSi Bumper & skirts
    Dropped on Coilovers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The tweeters are just in the normal tweeter places on the inside of the door mirror covers. If you know what i mean. Although they were too big to hide, so i had to remove the standard speaker cover grille, and enlarge the hole slightly.
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58