Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting up my own internet shop help please?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

setting up my own internet shop help please?

hi all, i've already bought a domain name, need hosting now, any recommendations?????

i want to set up my own basic style shop e.g. http://www.remoteunlocker.com

i've seen the same sort of shop layout on a lot of sites, it looks easy to maintain which is exactly what i'm after, how can i do this?????

i would also like a forum, like AS to discuss products etc. how would i do this, someone has suggested something called worldpress but i'm not sure.

and is anyone familiar with google checkout as a payment medium, as i've heard about it. i would be using paypal but not everyone has this.

what would i need and how do i do it please.
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Theres plenty of "off the shelf" packages u can get to run an e-commerce shop, BUT theyre not easy to setup properly and get to look right, but it can be done, not only will u need a domain name, but you will need an active script enabled hosting server with a database backend, such as asp and mssql, or php and mysql (most common setups).

Dynamic hosting servers are usually the most expensive ones, asp with MSSQL is easiest to learn, but although asp is cheap, mssql servers are expensive. php and mysql will probably be cheapest.

Google for e-commerce or shop software and you might find stuff, its going to be difficult to get something that you want and get the software for free, but it IS out there.

as for the forum, likewise theres hundreds of forum softwares available on the net, this one is vbulletin, but in the past ive used phpbb, and theres even an aspbb if you go the asp route.

theres hundreds of options and far too much to discuss in one thread reply to mention everything needed to set this system up.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you know php/js etc?

The company I work for needed a shopping cart system, i looked around at some existing ones/ones you could simply setup and to be honest, myself and my work werent too impressed. so with that in mind, i found a v.basic framework for a online shopping cart and built one up to our own needs. Took a while, but if you know PHP its fairly easy todo..
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    likewise, a bespoke written service would be far easier, especially if you dont have huge amounts of products, could even be basic html, aslong as the paypal links were coded in right, alternatively you could code the paypal and just have database driven ones, such as www.phildavisartist.co.uk - one of the sites that my company did, very basic, very simple, very quick to make.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What's the betting you've really confused him now

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    best bet, speak to the company that did lmfs new site, I hear there good

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalWithCheez View Post
    What's the betting you've really confused him now
    Hope not, he said he is studying software development, so you would presume he is IT literate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's alright then, because i didn't get a word of what the hell you were on about!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It can also depend on what your selling.. Just as a pointer, have a look at Sitepoint.com.

I'm able to write Javascript, php, asp.net (c#), vbscript, css, (x)html, t-sql, xml, xsl, xsl-fo etc. If you need a hand, i'm usually able to lend a hand.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    rite then, i've only just finished my first year of software engineering, and so far i can write Javascript, XHTML (to standards), CSS a tad of VB and a bit of oracle coding.

i sort of understand what your talking about and thanks for the help. its appreciated. i'm looking into selling stuff online, not sure what yet mind you its in the planning stages, Has anyone got any ideas of what i can sell????????

i just need to get a bit more money together for uni. I've bought a couple of domain names, one for myself and one for a business.

I'm thinking of taking the easier route first and creating an ebay shop and putting my URL to it. but that would require all customers to have an ebay account.
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast