Thread: Am i right to be mad with my manager!?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Am i right to be mad with my manager!?

At the beginning of the week i agreed to do another 4 hours on top of my 35. Unfortuately my best mates dad died earlier in the week. I now need today off to go to the funeral but my boss made me work 7-12 and said that i agreed to do the extra hours. The funerals at 1.

Iv come in today and checked my batch of work and im not even doing my normal job. Theyv had to get work from another department to keep us busy . WTF. This has really p!ssed me off.

Do you agree with what my managers saying or is she just a harsh selfish *****

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i dont think the law says you have to be given time off, unless immediate family, or something along those lines, but to be honest you'd expect them to give you the time off for something like this.

He may not be doing anything wrong legally, but unless you're 100% needed and cannot be replaced, i'd say hes just being a selfish person
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yep, its legal what hes done but morraly a PITA

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    shes insisting i do the extra 4 hours when theres no need to do them. It makes sense to just let me do my normal 35 hours if theres not enough work.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Its all a bit of give and take, and it sounds as if she has the usual 'something to prove'.

Personally, I think any reasonable manager would give you the time off. It just means the next time she needs you to do something for HER, you can tell her where to ram it (not in those words of course!)

I would also look for another job as nobody should be treated like that.

So yes, you do have the right to be angry.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IIRC you shouldn't "HAVE" to do the extra 4 hours. If you have a contract, see what it says about overtime. If they want to be arses, work to rule. Only work the hours you are "CONTRACTED" to.

Also, i'd be making it clear that when it comes to being asked to do overtime, unless it states in your contract that you have to if asked, then they will be told to stuff off lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your boss sounds like one of those women who likes to dominate the male members of staff. Got any vacancies?

I work in local government where the rules are, unless the funeral is for a close relative (sibling, parent, grand parent) then you cannot have compassionate leave. My auntie passed away recently, we were close, yet attendance at her funeral did not qualify for compassionate leave - I still went to the funeral - nothing would have stopped me going.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just pull a sickie?